Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

09/01/2016 - YAMS 5th and Final Year Anniversary

Hello everyone,

YAMS (Yet Another Minecraft Server) is 5 years old today, it’s been a tough past year but I hope those of you who came on enjoyed it. Last year I talked (here and here) about how there would most likely only be 1 final year left of YAMS.

It is with my deepest regret to inform you the community and friends of YAMS that YAMS will not be carrying on for the foreseeable future.  It saddens me to tell you this news, but YAMS has run its course and now it’s time to part ways and say Goodbye and thank all you kind players for being a part of YAMS.

I’ve had good times at YAMS; I’ve learnt so much and formed friendships that I shall always remember. I shall cherish the times I spent working on YAMS.

YAMS has also had its bad times, but good has come from those times too, we as a community grew stronger to fight those who came to cause the server harm. Seeing the community working together to help each other in times of need has made YAMS what it is. I thank all of you that have dedicated your time, effort and donations over the years to be a part of this fantastic community and help me and everyone else in running this server, it’s been truly appreciated.

Without you the players YAMS wouldn’t have been still around, so thank you for playing.

The YAMS Server will be up until the end of the month at which point it will be cancelled and you will no longer be able to connect so please enjoy this last month as much as you can, I hope you can all find a new place to call home and never forget YAMS and the great times you had here.

Please feel free to post your farewells below.

Thank you,

Darren

I know that I have not been very active at all for the past few years, which is entirely my fault for losing interest in the game, and I would like to apologize to Darren, my fellow staff members, and the community for it. With that being said, I have truly enjoyed my time here, and have made many memories and friends that I plan on keeping for the rest of my life. YAMS was truly unlike any other place I have found online, and though I have other online friend groups and such, none of them could emulate what we had here.

No matter what I did on here, I was always had a good time (even if it was slave labor resource grinding and repetitive building). I feel like this sense of community and friendship really changed me as a person, and I find myself incorporating a lot of values that I learned here into my own personality, as being eleven years old upon my first experience with the community offered a lot of space for impressions onto my character. I don't feel like I was the best staff member, in my defense I was quite young and don't like to yell at people :P, but I definitely learned a lot about responsibility and fairness in my nearly four years on the staff team.

I'd like to thank everybody, especially Darren, past/present staff, and all of our active members, for making YAMS the one of a kind place that it was. I know it may seem a bit late to get on the server, but lets see if we can not enjoy the last month we have with the server as one last hurrah :D. And also, if anyone plans on playing steam games in the future, maybe we could use the Y-A-M-S group ( http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Y-A-M-S ) to stay connected? (sorry for all the random people in there....those were friends that got on the server like once or twice)

Thanks for an awesome 5 years!

-Tuna

P.S. Maplehold/Woodbridge = Best towns >: )

I'm finding it hard to put into words how i feel about this. i found YAMS at a dark and tense part of my life and i can honestly say that it may have saved my life. i threw myself into it and was rewarded with some of the most important and enduring friendships i've ever made. at times i felt odd being a grownup interacting with young people but i enjoyed every minute of it.  eventually i applied to be staff, and the scavenger hunt was so much fun! not long after i was made a moderator and my work began in earnest. being unemployed at the time i was on when people needed me and spent many a happy hour on building projects that might not have been finished without my help, i'm still proud of all our builds and projects, and my beautiful Ark!

I want to thank everyone involved, especially my dear friend Darren, and want to say that if you want to keep in touch with me by email or skype or even facebook, just let me know. part of me is heartbroken that YAMS is going, but i understand its time has come. apart from the costs, our players have lost interest and it does not seem likely it will recover. i have a job, and a partner that take up my time now, and even worse my PC no longer works, so its unlikely i'll get back on to YAMS to say goodbye. 

just a thought, if i set up a facebook group to help us all stay in touch, who would want to join?

Big thank you to both of you for your kind words, means a lot. :)

As for the Facebook group, I setup a Facebook group back in 2011 and a page at some point too when Facebook wanted us to to use pages instead of groups.... But they never really got used as it was decided it was better to keep the discussions flowing here. If you want to take control of either steer, let me know and I'll make you admin... I know how much you've been trying to pinch my job for years lol. :)

I can't go without posting on here.

After being banned off the first server I came across, I decided I would like to find a family friendly server, preferably in the UK. That's where I came across YAMS, where I joined on the 15th June 2011. Only being a small server then (Sandbox being only 15 plots!) and building a spherical tower which subsequently had lava thrown on it (I will never forget that haha) and having Rob (Madrad) clean it up, it was quite a bustling place. I watched many people join and leave when I was first starting out, and boy am I glad I stayed.

I knew this would come at some point in time, and I'm upset to see it happen, but endings are always bound to happen. The events, the castaways, the ark, the restructuring (Twice!), all these things are things I am glad to be a part of. These things kept the community going. I have met some wonderful people along the way, in game and also in person. It seems odd telling people how I met people through a game online. Being staff was a big thing for me too. I felt like I could be trusted for once making my way up to moderator never thinking that would have been possible.

Darren, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you. This server and it's people were like a second family. We enjoyed things together, we chatted on mumble about silly and odd things. We built together and most importantly, we supported each other.

I was 16 when I joined YAMS and will be 21 this year aswell as being in my final 3rd year of Uni in September. I cannot fathom how long I spent on the server, being on pretty much every single day for at least 2-3 years. Begging my sister to let me use her laptop to come on and eventually getting my own that would run the game.

To my fellow staff, past and present, to the players that helped build this community, and to Darren, a very very big thank you.

Your friendly neighbourhood Enderman from Enderville,

Ryan

YAMS may be on it's way out, but this will always be the best community server I've ever been on and I do not regret having over two years of fun on this server.  

I may not be much of a minecraft guy anymore, but no server can top the fun and friendships I've had here. 

*glass raise* Here's to the passing of YAMS.  It's going away, but will not be forgotten.

You all have a good one.

-lord_verigan

I know I'm late to post as the server has already shut (And probably even more surprised I've posted :P), but I just wanted to say a few things.

Thanks to everyone who I've met on the server, I've made some of my best friends through YAMS, you guys are some of the most genuine and trustworthy people I have ever met. I know I haven't been on the server in forever but I never forgot about YAMS or the people on it.

It's amazing how time has flown by I was in secondary school when I first encountered the server and I'm in university now and it was a blast coming home everyday from school and spending so much time building and just talking to people. I remember getting into trouble a few times, but thankfully didn't get banned (Thanks Darren :lol:). And have had some great stories that will stick with me for a long time.

Thank you YAMS I will always remember you and the community. Thank you Darren.

Guess no one will remember me,but i did hop on on the very odd occasion recently (no one was ever on). But I must say it was great while it lasted and thanks Darren for keeping up the server as long as you did. Also bearing with the person I was when I first joined the server, not knowing the game or what was write and wrong. I think I must have been the most jailed player never to get banned. I had many happy memories and couldn't just say nothing since the end of the server is here. I also want to thank the old guys I used to play with for providing such fun for the years i played. Thanks ~Jim

ps: if you're woundering how old of a member I am, I helped steer and ryan with there sandbox homes, lending them my resorces to build there homes.(good times)

i know I am well behind the rest of the world for this topic, but I wanted to say a massive thanks to Darren and all whom I was lucky enough to call a friend in YAMS. I have had some wonderful times and some great laughs with you all.

I know I was very inactive during the last few months of YAMS, this was mainly due to overtime at work during the run up to xmas and changing my job/hours.

I wish you all well for the future and for those I still have on Facebook I hope we can remain friends for a long time to come.

your resident Pirate

Nikki

I know I am very late posting this but I needed to say just how great my time on this server was and how great the community of yams was and always will be. When I first joined YAMS I never found a server that kept my interest long enough for me to keep coming back for more than 2 weeks. YAMS was different however, it might not have had crazy buildings like some creative servers or a boat load of plugins where you could spend an eternity trying all of them out what YAMS had that made it special was the tight knit community that almost felt like a family. To this day I have not found another minecraft server with half the community that YAMS has, it was the perfect size and was incredibly active. I remember logging onto the mumble server for the first time and just talking to people for hours at a time. I have made many friends from YAMS something I have never experienced from an online game. I remember many long nights back in high school when I had the "night shift" where I was the only staff member on for hours at a time. I would like to thank the entire YAMS community for a great five years of fun. I would also like to thank Darren as without him YAMS wouldn't exist and without YAMS I wouldn't have gotten to know all of the great people that make up the YAMS community.  I would also like to thank everyone else staff and members who made YAMS the best minecraft server ever. I wish everyone the best and hope we can all stay in contact through a facebook group or something similar. 

Your local Power Ranger 

Tyler

Sign in to follow this