Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
darrenstraight

01/09/2011 - October recruitment of CSO's

Well it's that time of month again! Recruitment time! :D

We have been relying heavily on whitelist lately because of all the updates and because it helps us have a more structured community by having them sign up to the forums. However by doing this we are limiting the amount of players we get through our doors... every day I see players try and join the server and get refused, we are in top 1-5 of various Minecraft Searches, so why not use that power to get more players here.

So why not just take whitelist off and try and get them to sign up to the forums? Well it’s the amount of people with authority we have on the server; we still have various time zones in which no member of staff is on! :) We have of course various protections in place but I like for new players to be shown around and explained everything when they join. Of course this can be done my regular members if no member of staff is on but this doesn’t always happen!

Last time I recruited my Community Support Officers the other Month; I went to them individually… however this time there’s too many people I’d like to choose! So I would like to give everyone a fair chance here in the forums to have their say. Also this way it helps me see who’s really interested.

Here's a little information about what a Community Support Officer job entails:

1. Greet new players
If you love to meet new people, you are proud to show them around this great server, help them find resources, give building ideas, or just chat them up for company then you already have the most important skills. :D

2. Reinforce Server Rules
Are you familiar with the server rules posted in Spawn Tower? Do you encourage players to read or re-read them when they don't seem to know/remember how to behave? Would you feel comfortable muting players who can't seem to control what their fingers type in public chat? Can you handle the pressure of putting someone in jail when they get caught breaking the rules? Are you willing to investigate the reason behind the behavior and give them a second chance? Do you set a good example for others by just being you? ^_^

3. Report bannable offences to Mods/Admins
Occassionally there are times on the server when all the Mods/Admins are offline for a moment. As a CSO, it is important to document griefing by taking screenshots of the damage or the playerlist of people online at the time. Do you mind taking a little personal time to contain/clean up griefed areas? Do you feel comfortable posting in the forums, something along the lines of " I saw so-and-so do such-and-such today and here are some screenshots of the damage." :ph34r:

4. Enjoy knowing that you are part of the reason YAMS is the best place to spend your Minecraft time!
Think about what you like most about YAMS and how to keep it being a place you visit to get a good dose of community spirit. We have such diversity here with people from many ages, interests, and countries. We might each have differences but the best thing about all of us is that we have so much in common. We just have to get to know each other to find out what those common interests are and to introduce new ideas to share. That's what community is about, so if you would like to support the YAMS community, apply to be a trainee CSO.

5. Understand that from time to time you job role may change and you may be asked to help out on other things that are totally unrelated to what you normally do but that give a benefit towards the community. You may also get the opportunity to be in charge of a public building or specific Job to be decided by our Community Support Officer Manager Tyler.

To apply, you must be registered on the forums in order to reply to this post. Please give a brief summary of why you think you would be right for the job. Take a moment to look back over previous applications if you need ideas of what to say but be original. We want to know which assets you will bring to the staff team. ;)

Good Luck!

[b]Closing Date:[/b] 1 week from date/time of post.
[b]Amount of positions available:[/b] undisclosed.

Position:
I'm applying to be a CSO.

Skills:
I'm very big on helping people, and have already shown several new players around YAMS, have given some of the sandbox users feedback and tips for their homes, given resources to some and helped others find resources. I believe in being fair but firm with people, giving them a chance to correct their mistake and make amends before punishing them, and that most people deserve a second chance. However, when someone refuses to listen or follow rules or instructions, I have no problem being firm and laying out a punishment. I also do my best to report when I've noticed something amiss, be it ordinary members having powers they shouldn't, or simply what looks to be greifing.

Availability:

I'm on EST (currently it is 1:05pm) and I log in to YAMS at least once a day usually, throughout the day. I've noticed that during my early morning hours, and late evening hours, there are usually no CSOs or Mods online. I would maintain a consistent log in schedule, and notify of any prolonged absences ahead of time if at all possible.

Reason for wanting position:

I have greatly enjoyed my times in the YAMS community so far and would love the chance to give back to it as much as possible.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing your response.

I would like to apply for cso, this is because i like the YAMS community and the server itself, and want to be apart of it more,i've been on for 2 months and know the jist of things, i'm friendly, i help and try not to muck it up :P , and i'm on everyday about 8 hours a day. And well ummm..... that's it thanks for reading :D

I would like to apply for CSO because i find myself to be a very caring player and will listen to almost anything anyone says.

I know the rules very well to know when and when not to jail/mute someone ( not saying that anyone doesnt *cough* renzo *cough* :P )

If I were CSO i would make sure everyone would follow the rules. I am available practically anyday except Mon., Wed., Fri., and parts of Sun. But hopefully my internet will be fixed soon.

I am on EST. time zone, so it is hard to see some people on :(.

But, asides from this, good luck to anyone else that is applying cso :)!

I again am applying for cso

I love to help people, im willing to report anything i see and im avalible Fridays and Saturdays and on various times on weekdays

I have been on for a long time and I am really familiar with the rules and i will encourage others to do so to by being

a good rolemodel and trying to be an inspiration to others. I really feel that YAMS is a great server and i hope i can be further help by being a cso

After quite a bit of thought, i am applying for the post of CSO.

i am a genuinely friendly player, i enjoy meeting newbies and showing them around. i'm patient with new users and try to be as helpful as possible, regularly giving building supplies to sandbox users and filling the community chests.

in the past i have been on-line when greifing and bad behaviour have occurred, and felt that without the weight of responsibility behind me, my attempts to remonstrate with those players have little effect. i feel that being a CSO would help me protect this server that i love so much.
i'm here nearly every day, as i work from home, from early morning til midnight most days, so can be ready to drop anything to help when needed.
i'd love to help with community projects in any way, what i lack in skill i make up for in enthusiasm!

After a great deal of consideration, I have decided to apply for the position of CSO. After my little '[i]mishap[/i]', I feel that I owe YAMS more than just a stack of wool.
I'm a very friendly person, and enjoy helping out any less experienced players, by helping them out if they're lost, or just lending them food or building materials.
I respect every member of staff on YAMS, and am keen to be among their ranks.
As for times, I live in the UK, so GMT. I'm on whenever I can after school during the week and at the weekend, but I do have other things in my life than just Minecraft (homework and the likes), so it varies.
I do enjoy helping out on community projects (Castaway, Creeper Swamp Town Hall), not just my own. I know I'm [i]fairly[/i] new to YAMS, but I have really enjoyed my experience so far.

To cap it off, a job as a CSO would repay the debt that I feel I owe to YAMS.

Thanks,
Nick.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Hello I have been looking for jobs to do to help the community like CSO And This is My Chance

At the moment you have allowed me to try to fix the redstone museum and Some Help with ElseJon's Fun Room.And once that is finished i would like to help around the community in other towns
I have tried to help new players around and then a CSO usually steals them off me and gives them a tour
As You know I'm good with redstone , And Know the rules and that some acronyms are not aloud Due to plain experience and other Things Due to Experience.
I am a friendly player willing to help out I have made complaints when necessary Like Greifing and structure wise complaints
I have actualy been playing Yams Over revision for exams for January and May And Trying To avoid Piano lessons
As A CSO i Would understand if i was to adventure and Someone needed help or was new i would put them as priority
I also Gave BigAppleQ a Warning for jumping off Spawn tower

Joe

Hello, I would love to become a CSO.

I love showing new members around on the server, showing them the rules and SB and all that good stuff.

I also saw that you were talking about how we don't have any staff in some time zones, well I'm the Pacific time zone. And there's been plenty of time when I'm on and there isn't any staff online.

I wouldn't have any trouble taking screen shots of griefings and telling mods/admins about the griefings.

I really hope that you decide to make me a CSO, I know I wouldn't let you down. Thank you for your consideration.

- Fugitive_Jackel-

Dear Darren I would like to become a CSO
I would like to apply, I really like the server and would like to help make it better, i like to help people, and have tons of spare time to get on the server I am hard working and would love to be part of the servers growth, not sitting on the side lines watching, i'm a big "do it" person, that is willing to think outside the box to complete tasks, like building a new building updating one, or just moving something, i will be moving hopefully soon to a new country that is in a different time zone and is 5 hours ahead of the UK which would allow me to watch the server at odd times, but i'm a night owl and could still get on at times that would be fit for you. I am kind and understanding but can put my foot down if things go a bit far.
I would love the Job and to help you and community members!
Consider me as a new CSO

I would like to apply for CSO, Everybody knows I would like to become one and I've been talked into to this by members.
After being on the server for a couple of months now (I think this would be my 2nd...wow...I'm an oldie now)

I'm a helpfull member and like to be friendly and try to help as much as I can, I've been known to even help new members when Trainee CSO's are too busy.
After the mishap I had in my first week I've think i've made up for it greatly.

I'm on English time and are on most time of the day when I can (Even though Minecraft won't let me play right now, I'm working on it)

good luck guys! i'm cheering you on! O.< ~* I hope someone who is known by many members and is liked by everybody will become CSO, or else other members wont enjoy it. Can't wait for the result~

Dear all,

Thank you for all your applications.

I will personally notify each and everyone one of you on your outcome within the next week.

If you have been successful you will be offered the position.

If however you have not then I may give you the reasons as to why, this will be purely out of courtesy.

Good luck and thank you! :)

Kind Regards,
Darren

Just to be clear to everyone, yes we have appointed some Trainee CSO's, 5 so far to be exact....

I did say you would all be told within a week wether you got it or not, we are not at the end of the week yet!

So if you have not been spoken to yet please be patient. I like to talk to each of you on a 1:1 bassis or in pairs depending on the situation. I find it more personal that way. 1:1 helps me explain to you better why you did or didnt get it, while workign in pairs or in groups works well too becuase you can try things out on each other. It worked well yesterday how I went about it, there was certainly a sense of good spirit in the air!

There are still a few people that need to be promoted, but as I said please be patient. I said I would tell you either way! ;)

Thanks to the mods for helping me with the decision process.

Thanks,
Darren