Welcome to Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
YAMS is a public family friendly minecraft server inviting kids, teens, adults and parents alike to be a part of a community and enjoy the world of Minecraft. Register now to post an introduction topic and request to be whitelisted on YAMS if you are not already whitelisted. Once registered you will also be able to join in on all the fun and exciting community topics on the forums. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account and be a part of our minecraft community!

YAMS is closing down.

IMPORTANT: YAMS is unfortunately closing down, please read here.

Photo

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

darrenstraight

darrenstraight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,353 posts
  • LocationKent, United Kingdom
Top Just wondered on everyone’s thoughts on this as there haven’t been any discussions on here about it yet and tomorrow the 18th of January 2012 for 24 hours, worldwide, beginning at 05:00 UTC is the web blackout in which various sites, including high profile sites such as Wikipedia and Minecraft.net will be down in opposition of SOPA.

Are you supporting or opposing SOPA? Or do you not really care? Or don’t understand? Please discuss everything you think about it… should SOPA be stopped?

Links for more info below:
http://www.sopastrike.com/
http://www.blackoutsopa.org/
http://americancensorship.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

YAMS - Yet Another Minecraft Server  - You Are My Slaves :ph34r:

MadRAD

MadRAD

Obsidian Smasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the south east of England
As I have thought since I found out not only about SOPA but also PIPA (Protect Interlectual Property Act) I have thought that they could potentially destory everything everyone loves about the internet.

It has been said the internet is already censored in countries like china but the problem these acts bring, not only to their native USA but also to the world in general (as they will cause presidence), it will take the decision of what someone owns from the correct hands of the authorities and the judicial system, and it will place it into the hands of corperations who have already proven to abuse the systems that are currently out there.

A case and point is Megaupload. Universal (UMG?) decided that Megaupload was enableing too much piracy (a term which I already have a problem with) and had it taken down. This caused an uproar among the fans of Megaupload who use it for legal things so they made an original song. This song had original lyrics and music and also endorsed and stared many recording artists (all of whom signed saying that their clips/names could be used). This video was posted to Youtube but then UMG seeing this had it taken down. The trouble is that it did not infringe any copyright but it turns out that UMG does not actually need a valid reason to take down someones video on Youtube. This was then taken to court.

The trouble is that people need to remember that it is not only SOPA that needs to be stoped but people also need to concider PIPA and the effects of that law. I am not saying that something needs to be done about online piracy (again a word I hate) but the decision on what should be taken down should not be in the hands of corperations and compaines. Due process is essential

ElseJon

ElseJon

Iron Picker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
I do care, but with any laws concerning copyright or internet are too complicated and obscure and need to be rewriten

Thank You Everyone.

benjamine12

benjamine12

Iron Picker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMinecraft Version 1.6
I have never heard of this, and i think i care i cant go long without fun
Posted ImageJuly 16, first day I joined YAMS Forum

Grindboy

Grindboy

Coal Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, UK
Vehemently against it. It is a stupid law written by people who have no understanding of the way the underlying infrastructure of the internet works. Blocking sites at a DNS level isn't effective anyway since these sites can still be visited by knowing the public IP of their server and there are already services such as TOR (The Onion Router) which offer alternative DNS lookups.

It will do nothing to combat online piracy and a lot to damage the "free speech" that the US holds so dear. As a UK citizen you'd think that we shouldn't worry about US laws however if this law gets through then it will set a worrying precedent for the rest of the world. The US has already threatened Spain (successfully) into adopting its own SOPA style law.

Also commenting on Robs point, piracy is such a stupid term for it, in order to pirate something you need to steal it and it is impossible to steal something, like a file, which is infinitely copyable without any degradation. It's like saying that when you do one of those brass rubbings at tourist hotspots you are stealing the brass plate. Patently stupid (pun intended!)

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playingAdd me: Steam - Twitter - Xbox Live - Google+ - YouTubeVisit my blog: www.insearchoftux.blogspot.com

MadRAD

MadRAD

Obsidian Smasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the south east of England
That is kinda my problem Grind

But for me it is more a problem of what the term Piracy aludes to. A pirate is historically (and even recently in places like Somalia) "A person who attacks and robs ships at sea." it is a person who will steal, hurt, kill and other things that shouldnt be mentioned here.

Yes cirtain movies have made pirates the 'good' guys but in reality they were anything but.

<sarcasm>So obviousely people downloading movies, music and the such are the pure definition of the word Pirate</sarcasm>

Murasna

Murasna

Coal Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationSnowheim
The way they have it set up now all a "pirate" site has to do is have about 4-5 servers that it jumps around with a reboot protocol allowing the site to instantly be up and running again, but with sites such as Google, Ebay and the like will have MAJOR repercussions on all of their inner workings.

If you like haveing "Lets plays" and other videos containing copyright material PETITION THIS STUPID BILL! even if you dont care put your name down just go to Google.com and sign that one it takes about 5 seconds and means that the idiots running this type of thing know they are idiots!

As for the reason it is called Piracy (as mentioned by Grindboy and Rob) lets use minecraft for lulzys! Say minecraft (as the game its self) was sent to about 100 people Without purchaseing the full product just copy/sending the file, and they get the full version just cant play online. That means Mojang and the team that worked hard to make the game are now out $2,200 USD... and thats just 100 users! keep multiplying that and you get in the millions. This also goes for any Media you usually have to pay for vs. XXX ammount of people "pirateing"

Long example short you are literally stealing a sale, which is money to them, from that company/people thus "Pirateing"
Posted Image

darrenstraight

darrenstraight

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,353 posts
  • LocationKent, United Kingdom
So you all heard the latest new about megaupload.com being shut down?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-16642369

YAMS - Yet Another Minecraft Server  - You Are My Slaves :ph34r:

ryanfenton

ryanfenton

Obsidian Smasher

• Moderators
  • 961 posts
  • LocationLincolnshire, England
This may make you smile, but its not the end of it yet
http://www.insidegam...ernet-succeeds/

darrenstraight

darrenstraight