Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

Microsoft Surface Tablet

So what are everyone’s thoughts on Microsoft Surface (no not the multitouch software which is now called Microsoft Pixelsense) but instead the tablet that was unveiled yesterday evening/night, theres loads of news on the net about it.

I hope it doesnt turn out like the ultra-mobile PC's... Project Origami anyone? :(

I hope they release prices soon. :)
[b] Surface for Windows RT tablet[/b]
[list]
[*]Processor: NVIDIA Tegra-based ARM chip
[*]Weight: 676 grams
[*]Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
[*]Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
[*]Battery: 31.5Wh
[*]I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
[*]Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
[*]Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
[*]Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
[*]Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)
[*]Pricing: To be determined
[/list]
[b] Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet[/b]
[list]
[*]Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
[*]Weight: 903 grams
[*]Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
[*]Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
[*]Battery: 42Wh
[*]I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
[*]Software: Windows 8 Pro
[*]Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
[*]Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
[*]Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall
[*]Pricing: To be determined
[/list]
Link: [url="http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx"]http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx[/url]

[img]http://www.microsoft.com/global/surface/en/us/publishingimages/new/hero.jpg[/img]

To me, it looks like the end product you would get if you combine an iPad with the Smart Cover, a Windows Phone, and a laptop. :blink: Also, i like how you could get different colored keyboards.

Oh Project Origami *sheds a tear* :P

I'm quite impressed by Surface actually, I think MS saw OEMs struggling to come up with a good form factor for Windows 8 and decided to step in. I definitely think the "transformer" style makes the most sense.

Although its really interesting to see the day when software dictates the limitations and requirements of the hardware rather than the other way round. :)

[quote name='Dynamo12xr4 (Joe)' timestamp='1340129335' post='13194']
If this is under hmmn Lets say £450 I might get it i am thinking of getting an ipad for collage but this would be good too + Fall i wont get it straight away for collage
[/quote]

Well apparently so according to sources (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/06/22/microsoft-surface-pricing-said-to-be-599-for-windows-rt-999-for-windows-8-pro-models/)

[quote][font="Segoe UI, Proxima Nova, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#434343"]Today, a source close to Microsoft has provided us with corroboration of rumored Microsoft Surface pricing, putting the Tegra 3 powered RT model at $599 retail and the Ivy Bridge packing Windows 8 Pro model at $999 retail.[/color][/font][/quote]

Using a currency converter that is:-

RT Model: roughly £384.55 (probably gonna round up so.... £385)
Pro Model: roughly £641.33 (probably gonna again round up so..... £642)

I may think about buying one of these depending on the price. I do have an ipad 1 but Apple are phasing out updates for it, the first one being ios 6. Apple don't like older customers. :(
Surface looks nice and the keyboard and stand are nice features. Apple might have some competition now. :)

[quote name='ryanfenton' timestamp='1340382637' post='13356']
I may think about buying one of these depending on the price. I do have an ipad 1 but Apple are phasing out updates for it, the first one being ios 6. Apple don't like older customers. :(
Surface looks nice and the keyboard and stand are nice features. Apple might have some competition now. :)
[/quote]

That's the one thing I dislike about apple. I understand it when the device can't actually handle the updates, like the iPhone3 couldn't possibly have video calling and such, but the rest of iOS4 it probably could have handled.

As for this thing, I'll just wait to play with one before seeing if I want one. I need a actual comp first... Conniving my mother into getting a big mac 8D

[quote name='Crispy BartyJnr Barras' timestamp='1340720916' post='13467']
That's the one thing I dislike about apple. I understand it when the device can't actually handle the updates, like the iPhone3 couldn't possibly have video calling and such, but the rest of iOS4 it probably could have handled.

As for this thing, I'll just wait to play with one before seeing if I want one. I need a actual comp first... Conniving my mother into getting a big mac 8D
[/quote]

Reminds me of this video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OfBGfeVkY&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Sign in to follow this