Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
SwanofWar

A Language Blacklist? [SUGGESTION]

[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Months ago, when I first visited YAMS, I got muted for using euphasism, not realizing it was considered "langauge" as per the YAMS rules. Since then, I've been warned once or twice for using words that I hadn't considered bad language either. Naturally, when something bad happens to you in Minecraft--such as a creeper blowing you up--you're going to say [i]something[/i]. And when those moments come, I find myself scrambling over the worry of "is that considered bad language here.[/font][/color]

[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]So I'm thinking, most likely on this forum, there should be either created a blacklist of words we're forbidden to use or a whitelist of words we're allowed to use in a creeper or otherwise situation.[/font][/color]

[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Some suggestions could perhaps be:[/font][/color]

[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Blast[/font][/color]
[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Bother[/font][/color]
[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Oh man[/font][/color]
[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Etc.[/font][/color]

[color=#4b0082][font=comic sans ms,cursive]That's my thought anyhow :)[/font][/color]

Sorry but I'm with madrad here, there's a difference between saying it while at home and going to the effort of typing it. There is also the problem of different words can mean different things in different cultures. One that comes to mind is damn and crap. Some people see these as vulgar, others do not. We can tolerate once maybe even twice use of not so nice words, but when one keeps typing it out every time then that's when you make us unhappy bunnies! ;)

As for a blacklist of words that can't be used, interesting concept (I assume you mean on the forums in a post) however they would have to be wrote out on the forums, which is just as bad as typing them in game even if it is for a useful purpose, however I dont think people will stop themselves saying words and be like wait let me check forums can i say it.... oh no I cant.. let me say so and so instead!

Anyway hope that explains a few things, thanks for your suggestions.

If they would, then as madrad says just don't say anything at all or use common sense and find a better less grey word.

It has also been said before why don't we install a plugin to block these words? Well I don't really like doing that, id like to think as my community as sensible and just because the server allows them to say words they wont abuse that trust. :) Of course people who do use really bad words or insult my staff or other with them get banned etc.

Also, with the language block thing, youve got the issue that it seems to make people TRY to get past the block. Using ! As I and putting *** in, things such as this. It would be a rather time consuming and never ending block.

We had to do this at work (irl) for teddies names, and the issue we've had lately is the word p****, meaning cat. >_> so simple words can be used as dirty, see?

Sorry of this was mentioned in above posts 8)

Sign in to follow this