Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
darrenstraight

09/08/2012 - August 2012 recruitment of CSO's

Next week it will have been 6 months since we started the new map we are on now (look out for an upcoming post this week sometime) and while we have been steadily growing we have lost quite a few players along the way either due to their personal lives, not agreeing with the way I run this community or because they got themselves banned.

It's time we started promoting YAMS more and work on having more active players instead of players that come and go months at a time, we do great things at YAMS it’s just such a shame that so much of this is not seen by people out there.

We have yet again been relying heavily on whitelist for the past few months, normally because of a lack of staff on (thats not saying I want my current staff to have to be on 24/7, it's not fair on them).

With this said I do routinely take whitelist off, but every time I do it seems like the staff suddenly disappear at no fault of their own (lunch, dinner time, going out etc). I on many occasions recently have been the only member of staff on the server and have had to do multiple tours, now I dont mind doing the tours one bit but as admin I have loads of other stuff to do to, do I give a tour to a new person of fix a bug that’s been annoying current players? Trying to balance it all out can be quite stressful at times, so I end up putting whitelist back on until more staff comes back.

Now most of YAMS is setup so if there is no staff on new players can still work things out (if they read all the signs) however I like the personal touch, it's not something you see at a lot of servers someone greeting you and actual helping you around, though some people say things like "what dont you trust me why are you spying on/following me" its not that at all, its more to help them out so they know exactly what to do and wont get in trouble latter.

Though a lot of players do.. And that’s mainly due to there not being enough follow up from CSO's. Once they have left someone in Sandbox they should regularly keep checking up on this player over the next couple of days or more ensuring they are doing well and understand the approval process, even help them on their houses if need be.

So this should be happening but it doesn’t always, the other day for example I found out that there was a player in sandbox that had been there nearly 2 months and a half. This is something that should have been picked up on my by CSO's ages ago but yet no signs what so ever had been left in his house even though the player had been on a few days ago... did this player never get a tour? Had he not read the rules? Had he not been explained by anyone the approval process?

I need to spend some more time with my CSO's individually and actually work out why things like this are happening/not happening, but unfortunately right now I’m stuck doing lots of other jobs that could easily be done others, as an example, the other day on the day of the update I planted cocoa bean plants for everyone in sandbox, the next day I come on and they have all been taken and not replanted, so I wasted time organising replanting and talking to the person who didn’t replant (there were signs saying to do so). Another example is everyday people keep on putting their signs up asking for approval (but hasn’t followed the instructions) I waste inspecting someone’s house only to find out they haven’t completed all the required steps.

I expect the same somewhat happens for the other staff were they are caught up in things that could have easily been solved if we had more time, staff etc.

Anyway id like to get these things sorted and take whitelist off more, every day I see people join and get refused becuase of whitelist, we are in top 1-5 of various Minecraft Searches. Searches such as: Family friendly minecraft server,
Family friendly minecraft servers, banned from minecraft, cool and awesome minecraft names and many more....

So why not just take whitelist off and try and get them to sign up to the forums? Well as i said above it’s the amount of people with authority we have on the server; we still have various time zones in which no member of staff is on! We have of course various protections in place but as I said earlier I like for new players to be shown around and explained everything when they join. Of course this can be done by regular members if no member of staff is on but this doesn’t always happen or happens badly as they are missing the required training or don’t fully understand the rules themselves.

Whitelist is currently off now, so I'm going to see how things go. It's just a shame we end up putting it back on a lot because of griefers and such. You try and be nice by allowing people to come on your server and they treat you, your staff and the server badly – it’s not nice for anyone. Safe to say these kind of people are always dealt with but again, it's wasted time especially if you give them a 15 minute tour only to see them banned an hour down the line.

Ok so enough rambling, all of this yet againhas prompted me to recruit more staff so we can have whitelist off more often!

Here's a little information about what a Community Support Officer job entails:

[b]1. Greet new players.[/b]
If you love to meet new people, you are proud to show them around this great server, help them find resources, give them building ideas, or just chat with them for company then you already have the most important skills. :)

[b]2. Reinforce Server Rules.[/b]
Are you familiar with the server rules posted in Spawn Tower? Do you encourage players to read or re-read them when they don't seem to know/remember how to behave? Would you feel comfortable muting players who can't seem to control what their fingers type in public chat? Can you handle the pressure of putting someone in jail when they get caught breaking the rules? Are you willing to investigate the reason behind the behavior and give them a second chance? Do you set a good example for others by just being you? ^_^

[b]3. Report bannable offences to Mods/Admins.[/b]
Occasionally there are times on the server when all the Mods/Admins are offline for a moment. As a CSO, it is important to document griefing by taking screenshots of the damage or the playerlist of people online at the time. Do you mind taking a little personal time to contain/clean up griefed areas? Do you feel comfortable posting in the forums, something along the lines of “I saw so and-so do such and such today and here are some screenshots of the damage along with locations." :ph34r:

[b]4. Enjoy knowing that you are part of the reason YAMS is the best place to spend your Minecraft time![/b]
Think about what you like most about YAMS and how to keep it being a place you visit to get a good dose of community spirit. We have such diversity here with people from many ages, interests, and countries. We might each have our differences but the best thing about all of us is that we have so much in common. We just have to get to know each other to find out what those common interests are and to introduce new ideas to share. That's what community is about, so if you would like to support the YAMS community, apply to be a trainee CSO.

[b]5. Acceptable to job role change.[/b]
Understand that from time to time you job role may change and you may be asked to help out on other things that are totally unrelated to what you normally do but that give a benefit towards the community. You may also get the opportunity to be in charge of a public building or specific Job.

To apply, you must be registered on the forums in order to reply to this post (we like to keep things open). Please give a brief summary of why you think you would be right for the job. Take a moment to look back over previous applications ([url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/1951-01042012-april-2012-recruitment-of-csos/"]here[/url], [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/1047-01092011-october-recruitment-of-csos/"]here[/url], [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/127-24052011-cso-applications-for-june/"]here[/url] and an older one [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/54-12042011-community-support-officers/"]here[/url]) if you need ideas of what to say but be original and bare in mind that a lots changed since them applications (dont just copy and paste we will know). Also it doesnt matter if you post now, or wait untill someone else posts, your post should be your words not someone elses and anyway your post is not the only part we base your application on, we will also base it on things such as your previous forum activity, severity of past crimes and how much time of course you spent in game and when you are are you helping others.

We want to know which assets you will bring to the staff team. Why you and not that other person? B)

Good Luck!

[b]Closing Date:[/b] 1 week from date/time of post.
[b]Amount of positions available:[/b] undisclosed.

I would like to apply for the August 2012 CSO application. I feel I would be good for the job because I have been on YAMS for about 7.5 months and am very active on the server. I absolutely love to greet new players and talk with others. Community projects are activities I love to Participate in. I am able to take charge and be a leader for others along with making sure all rules are followed. I really enjoy playing on YAMS and hope you consider my application. :) Good luck to all others applying!

Hello,
[size=6]Why I want CSO?[/size]
I'm tcg2323 a current Member of YAMS. I would love to be apart of the YAMS CSO team cause I think YAMS is a wonderful place of peace and friendly staff and Members! I have been on YAMS in January of 2012, I would run my job well and report griefs to Moderators and Admins (Darren). I whould give tours around YAMS when I'm the only one on with the new Member. I have always loved Watching YAMS grow I have since January.

[size=6]What would I do as CSO? And how to help.[/size]
I love meeting new People in YAMS as much as I do in real life! YAMS has been my place of happiness and Wonderland :). I would act quickly to a grief and take the screenshot. I would be on atleast 6 hours a day (On school days) Like 16 hours on weekends :P (No joke). I'm 11 (Almost 12) But I think you knew that. I would also help build with town projects ( I already do though :P).
[size=6]About me?[/size]
[size=3]I live in in the United States. I live with a bunch of Dogs and Cats. So I also love to play sports and Minecraft (Derp). YAMS is a hobby of mine and it will be a long hobby :). I also love to play with my Pets.[/size]

[size=3][size=6]Wraping it up![/size][/size]
[size=3]So that is why I want to be apart of the YAMS CSO staff team. I hope I'm considered and [/size][size=3]qualified into the team : D. YAMS will live forever and will be in my heart forever. I love the way YAMS has been made since I joined too now. I love YAMS and this was my Trainee-CSO Application![/size]
[size=3]-tcg2323 Current Member of YAMS[/size] Edited by tcg2323

I would like to apply for CSO please. I love helping new players. I also have given a few tours for new players. I live in the USA and spent most of the time on the server. I try to spend at least a hour or two on the server and on the weekends about five hours. Please consider me :) .

Hello, I am ustas55 and I am applying for the August 2012 CSO recruitment. I think i will make a good CSO because i have been playing on YAMS for about a year, and i am familiar with all of the rules for both the normal world and the mining world. As a CSO I will enforce the rules and report bannable offences to Moderators and Admins. I have reported many signs of rules being being broken. Also i enjoy to get envolved in community building projects, and i have participated in many of them. When theres a new player that comes on, I know how to give a proper tour. If i see a player that seems to not fully understand the rules, I will encourage them to re-read the rules. Also, i am committed to helping players that need a helping hand with something about their house, or just need to know how to craft an item. Lastly, I am on YAMS for a couple of hours everyday, about everyday of the week. Please consider my application.

Hello, I am darth_bubbles and I am applying for the August 2012 CSO recruitment. I think I would be a good CSO because i have been playing on YAMS for about 4 months. To help out YAMS i would show new people around(I know where pretty much everything is), help them with there process of being new, make it feel like home :) ,I would also love to help people with their troubles! I would also be ok with putting people in jail and telling them what they did wrong and stop people from griefing as much as I can!. I have helped out with the pyramid building project, helped out members of staff with buildings in towns and when people ask for help, I help! :) and I love meeting new people! I know i have been to jail before but those have NOT been on purpose, i will and would never do anything to wreck the server on purpose, I love this server! I am on YAMS for a couple hours a day everyday that i can! This is my favourite server and i would love to become a member of staff to YAMS! :) Thank you for considering my application!! :D

Hello, I am Shadow7690 and i would like to apply for CSO. I like to help new players and giving tours. I love to help with builds and i spend most of my time on the server. If someone broke the rules, i would put them in jail and tell them what they have done wrong. Please consider my application.

Hello i am intrested in being a cso because i love to help out the community whenever im on i always ask if someone would like some help with something. i like making the new players feel comftorble with this server by telling them how much fun it is to. i hope you make consideration to me i would like to be a cso on this amazing server.

hello fellow YAMS players, i think i would be great for the cso position. In real life i love to help as much as i can now lets be honest i can be annoying.....ALOT but im really nice :lol: . i know i hav been in jail b4 and i am not proud of that, but i love this server and would never try to jeperdize it in any way ^_^ . i havent been on long but i would love the resonsibility and would nvr complain about anythingplease consider me for the job :santa: . thx

- haileyrose :wub: Edited by HaileyRose

hello
I think i would be a great option for a cso. Im very friendly, and i love helping people on YAMS.
I've been on for a really long time and I know the rules very well. My favorite thing to do in YAMS is mob arena.
I also love contributing to build projects. I no I haven't been on for a couple of weeks but I promise ill be on as frequently
as I can.

I hope that I can get the cso position