Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

01/10/2012 - YAMS Halloween 2012

Hello zombies, pumpkins, bats, witches, wolves and black cats.... Halloween is coming so get ready to trick or treat...

Some of you may remember [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/1119-13102011-yams-halloween-2011/"]YAMS Halloween 2011[/url] event and will probably agree that it was a success!

If not then maybe you went to visit it in the recent [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/2693-13092012-yams-adventure-back-in-time/"]YAMS Adventure back in time[/url] event? After all I did say "Halloween area is worth a visit as I want to do another one this year." :)

If not here's some quick screenshots:

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img210/5638/20121001181741.png[/img]

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img803/7096/20121001181756.png[/img]

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img253/706/20121001185439.png[/img]

We had:[list]
[*]An interesting railway station entrance.
[*]Ticket office.
[*]Ghost train
[*]A portal....
[*]Market stools
[*]Water ride.
[*]Mob arena inside the haunted mansion.
[*]Archery
[*]The 2 level pitch black maze, then people cheated as they discoverd the new brightness option so I had to add a sign saying not too! >.<
[*]Other things
[/list]
So yes it was quite a success but could have been even better if we had more time especially in terms of the natural surroundings and the architectural design of the buildings, this is why I am giving you all a lot more time this time to think of ideas, giving us in turn more time to actually build it plus we have new blocks and more building experience now than last time, well some of us, some of you are still pretty bad builders no offence! *runs* :P

Ok well guys and girls, started posting your ideas on what you want to see. I will sort out an area as soon as I can, I have a few places in mind, but depends on what you want! :)

Thanks,
Darren

I'd happily build another boat ride this year, since we know how water works now, as we had a shaky start last year. Also, boats are tougher, which means we can have more deep drops ect :D

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5741/20111031180512.png[/img]

@Ryan Up for it? :D

well, as one of the bad builders i shall give you my ideas so you wont have to endure things built by me! :P

i liked the giant skull thing, but thing we could do better this year. and we have pumpkin farms now so there will be plenty!

some ideas-

bobbing for apples? have a dispenser shoot apples into a little pond.

ghostrain is kinda traditional. make it longer and scarier!

fancy dress contest! like the catwalk show idea but Halloween themed.

[quote name='SteerpikeSister' timestamp='1349115581' post='16093']
well, as one of the bad builders i shall give you my ideas so you wont have to endure things built by me! :P

i liked the giant skull thing, but thing we could do better this year. and we have pumpkin farms now so there will be plenty!

some ideas-

bobbing for apples? have a dispenser shoot apples into a little pond.

ghostrain is kinda traditional. make it longer and scarier!

[/quote]

@Skull - what I really wanted was the skull to be a walk through 3d skull, so you walk through it... that didnt happen lol.

@bobbing apples - :D

@ghost train - Yep there will be another ghost train thats 100% on the table, I wanted last years one and want it this year too! :P

@Fancy dress - interesting. :)

@building skills - yes you're rubish, we should send you to the nether forever... just kidding, you're not bad, you've improved.

[quote name='SteerpikeSister' timestamp='1349115581' post='16093']
[/quote]
Brilliant! I've already got a skin for Halloween (from the internet), but I might make one myself for this contest :D
Can't wait ^_^

Is my skin good? (think of it as a ghost) :P
I think that we should have a haunted house (like the one mentioned above), but there could be a level with iron doors and different passageways. If you choose the correct iron door, then you can continue walking and nothing will go wrong, but if the bad iron door pathway was chosen, then there could be a pit on the other side (5 blocks deep) which leads into a large room down below in which you go out of and start over the entire haunted house. There could be several sets of the iron door decisions too. :)

It was too early
I already knew that...

Anyway, I like the idea of a wheat/sugarcane maze but only problem is someone might be sad enough to just walk straight through the sugarcane/wheat :/

[quote name='MadRAD' timestamp='1349183861' post='16110']
Unless the maize maze is in a dirt trench with wheat on top
[/quote]

I think this is a good way of doing it. :) Though im still going to have a more spooky dark maze like I did last time! :P

This all sounds great, and the only Halloween party/event I've been to was my friends when I was like 10 and ill I remember was musical statues with Halloween music :P, I also remember going Madame Tussauds and there was a scary maze and people would run after you with chain saws and stuff, not sure how this could be done in minecraft, but I'll think :P

[quote name='DevonHD' timestamp='1349361222' post='16132']
This all sounds great, and the only Halloween party/event I've been to was my friends when I was like 10 and ill I remember was musical statues with Halloween music :P, I also remember going Madame Tussauds and there was a scary maze and people would run after you with chain saws and stuff, not sure how this could be done in minecraft, but I'll think :P
[/quote]

I know of a way that would work, but it's plug ins. Freeze tag. Haha.

Ok so I have a location plan!

We need to start on the actual entrance to the place and this year I'm not thinking small![list]
[*]It will be on the way to maplehold.
[*]It is quite a walk to it however it will be packed with fun stuff to see.
[*]You will walk through a mini nether (I need lots of netherack and soul sand and netherbrick etc...)
[*]Please place any nether stuff in the provided chests.
[*]The mini nether will have a lava river running through it that goes to the outside.
[*]You will walk through the O in Halloween that takes you through the main halloween section.
[*]we need to start covering the top of the mini nether.
[/list]
If you think this isnt doable tell me now as Ive already started and need help! :P

By now I'm hoping quite a few of you have seen what Ive been doing with the entrance to the Halloween area, thanks goes to those who helped me fill in the dirt above it and have supplied materials too! :)

Now I;m still not finished but I need people to start designing huge skulls.

The reason is becuase as you walk through the 3x3 walkway through the O in Halloween you will come out the other side exiting the skulls mouth! :)

I'm thinking quite big here, so please try and see what you can come up with, you can build it in the test world. Steer has made one to get you guys going but dont just copy her style lol.

Just a few things to bear in mind:[list]
[*]The skull will be embeeded into the mountain, so dont worry about the back too much! :)
[*]The skull must be grand
[*]The skull must be odd width diameter so theres a centre block, so for example 3 wide not 2. This is becuase the walkway is 3 at least (may use 5).
[*]There must be at least 3 headroom as they exit the mouth but if not possible 2 will do but I really would prefer 3 at least after all this is a big skull!
[/list]
I suggest searching google images "minecraft skull" to get you started, but dont just copy block by block! :P