Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

05/01/2013 - January 2013 recruitment of CSO's

Next week YAMS will be 2 years old, our community has been steadily growing with new members since day 1. However we dont always grow, sometimes we loose players, this happens for a multitude of reasons, that being their personal lives are busy, not agreeing with the way I run this community or because they got themselves banned.

I beileve it's time that we started promoting YAMS more again and work on having more active players instead of players that come on and then go away for months at a time, we do great things at YAMS it’s just such a shame that so much of this is not seen by people out there.

Recently we have yet again been relying heavily on whitelist, normally because of a lack of staff on (thats not saying I want my current staff to have to be on 24/7, it's not fair on them) or becuase we have had trouble.

With this said I do routinely take whitelist off, but every time I do it seems like the staff suddenly disappear at no fault of their own (lunch, dinner time, going out etc). It seems whenever I take it off, I end up being the only member of staff on the server and have had to do multiple tours all at once, now I dont mind doing the tours one bit but as admin I have loads of other stuff to do to, do I give a tour to a new person of fix a bug that’s been annoying current players? Trying to balance it all out can be quite stressful at times, so I end up putting whitelist back on until more staff come back on.

Now most of YAMS is setup so if there is no staff on new players can still work things out (if they read all the signs) however I like the personal touch, it's not something you see at a lot of servers, someone greeting you and actualy helping you around, though some people say things like "what dont you trust me why are you spying on/following me" its not that at all, its more to help them out so they know exactly what to do and wont get in trouble later.

Though a lot of players do eventual get themselves in trouble, this is mainly due to there not being enough follow up from CSO's. Once they have left someone in Sandbox they should regularly keep checking up on this player over the next couple of days or more ensuring they are doing well and understand the approval process, even help them on their houses if need be.

So this should be happening but it doesn’t always happen as theres so many other things that need doing on YAMS too, not to mention the fact that people also like to play (I dont blame them) instead of feeling obligated they have to do yams work all the time.

Anyway id like to get these things sorted and take whitelist off more, every day I see people join and get refused becuase of whitelist, we are in top 1-5 of various Minecraft Searches. Searches such as: Family friendly minecraft server, Family friendly minecraft servers, banned from minecraft and many more....

So why not just take whitelist off and try and get them to sign up to the forums? Well as i said above it’s the amount of people with authority we have on the server; we still have various time zones in which no member of staff is on! We have of course various protections in place but as I said earlier I like for new players to be shown around and explained everything when they join. Of course this can be done by regular members if no member of staff is on but this doesn’t always happen or happens badly as they are missing the required training or don’t fully understand the rules themselves.

It's just a shame that when I do take whitelist off we end up putting it back on a lot because of griefers and such. You try and be nice by allowing people to come on your server and they treat you, your staff and the server badly – it’s not nice for anyone. Safe to say these kind of people are always dealt with. It's just a shame you give them a 15 minute tour only to see them banned an hour down the line.

Ok so enough rambling, it's time to recruit more staff so we can have whitelist off more often!

Here's a little information about what a Community Support Officer job entails:

[b]1. Greet new players.[/b]
If you love to meet new people, you are proud to show them around this great server, help them find resources, give them building ideas, or just chat with them for company then you already have the most important skills. :)

[b]2. Reinforce Server Rules.[/b]
Are you familiar with the server rules posted in Spawn Tower? Do you encourage players to read or re-read them when they don't seem to know/remember how to behave? Would you feel comfortable muting players who can't seem to control what their fingers type in public chat? Can you handle the pressure of putting someone in jail when they get caught breaking the rules? Are you willing to investigate the reason behind the behavior and give them a second chance? Do you set a good example for others by just being you? ^_^

[b]3. Report bannable offences to Mods/Admins.[/b]
Occasionally there are times on the server when all the Mods/Admins are offline for a moment. As a CSO, it is important to document griefing by taking screenshots of the damage or the playerlist of people online at the time. Do you mind taking a little personal time to contain/clean up griefed areas? Do you feel comfortable posting in the forums, something along the lines of “I saw so and-so do such and such today and here are some screenshots of the damage along with locations." :ph34r:

[b]4. Enjoy knowing that you are part of the reason YAMS is the best place to spend your Minecraft time![/b]
Think about what you like most about YAMS and how to keep it being a place you visit to get a good dose of community spirit. We have such diversity here with people from many ages, interests, and countries. We might each have our differences but the best thing about all of us is that we have so much in common. We just have to get to know each other to find out what those common interests are and to introduce new ideas to share. That's what community is about, so if you would like to support the YAMS community, apply to be a trainee CSO.

[b]5. Acceptable to job role change.[/b]
Understand that from time to time you job role may change and you may be asked to help out on other things that are totally unrelated to what you normally do but that give a benefit towards the community. You may also get the opportunity to be in charge of a public building or specific Job.

To apply, you must be registered on the forums in order to reply to this post (keeps it open and fair). Please give a brief summary of why you think you would be right for the job and what you can offer that others cant. Take a moment to look back over previous applications ([url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/2524-09082012-august-2012-recruitment-of-csos/"]here[/url], [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/1951-01042012-april-2012-recruitment-of-csos/"][color="#0f72da"]here[/color][/url], [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/1047-01092011-october-recruitment-of-csos/"][color="#0f72da"]here[/color][/url], [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/127-24052011-cso-applications-for-june/"][color="#0f72da"]here[/color][/url] and an older one [url="http://www.darrenstraight.com/minecraft/index.php?/topic/54-12042011-community-support-officers/"][color="#0f72da"]here[/color][/url]) if you need ideas of what to say but please be original and bare in mind that a lots changed since them applications (dont just copy and paste we will know).

Also it doesnt matter if you post now, or wait untill someone else posts, your post should be your words not someone elses and anyway your post is not the only part we base your application on, we will also base it on things such as your previous forum activity, severity of past crimes and how much time of course you have spent in game and when you are, are you helping the community.

We want to know which assets you will bring to the staff team. Why you and not that other person? B)

Good Luck!

[b]Closing Date:[/b] 1 week from date/time of post.
[b]Amount of positions available:[/b] undisclosed.

Hello I'm here to apply for the CSO position,

I have greeted many players in the past and I love it. I don't mind doing it and I don't mind answering and questions they may have about YAMS.

I will encourage players to read the rules and obey them. If anyone steps out of place with the rules I will be comfortable to deal with them in jail or mute them, if they get way to out of hand I will be happy to note it to a mod or admin as a bannable offence.

I would encourage players to play games and get involved in projects. I will be happy to be apart of a higher rank in the YAMS community. I will be willing to accept jobs and challenges that I may get.

I may not get the CSO position but I wish a good luck to everyone else. :)

Yours faithfully,

DevonHD (Devon) Edited by DevonHD

Hello, I would like to make an application for the January 2013 CSO recuitment.

I believe that I would be very well suited to be a CSO because I strongly believe in authorityand enforcing rules. I also possess a cool head when dealing with.......erm......uncooperative players and I am not hesitant to do what I believe is right, be it muting, jailing, or reporting bannable acts on the forums. This would also not be my first time having a role as a staff member; When I played on tcg2323's (whome you mght remember) server, I worked my way up from a member all the way up to head admin in a fairly short period of time because of my honesty and friendliness.

Aside from being a rule enforcer and intimidating if need be, a prefer to be friendly towards people and I enjoy giving tours to new players and "showing them the ropes". I also very much enjoy participating in events and builds as well as thinking of new ideas for events (though I'm often not very good at ideas at times). :P

Time to talk about the physical aspects.
I have been on YAMS for about 6 months, which has given me time to see how YAMS functions and physically explore the world. I am also 16 years old which means that I certainly have the maturity and reasoning required for this position. I am on YAMS on a pretty regular basis and would be available to perform tours and such very often. Lastly, the timezone that I live in is seven hours behind those who live in the United Kingdom which means that when North American players are on the server, there will still be a staff member other than bigtycoflex that can be available when need be.

I look forward to hearing the application results and I wish all other applicants the best of luck! ;)

Sincerely,
lord_verigan (joel)

Hello everybody I am here to apply for CSO :)

I would first like to say that even though i haven't been on the server very long I think I would be a great CSO becuase I love meeting new players and helping others. I have done a bunch of tours on YAMS even when other staff where on but they where busy so I offered to do it so they can continue working. I play on YAMS almost every day. I love to help out with the community (christmas area) and play games with others. I have read the rules a few times so I know them pretty well. Other servers I have been on just aren't the same they are very boring but YAMS is very friendly and a great family server. I would say that I encourage some players and try to give them building ideas. I have helped a few players take down their house in sandbox and help them set up a base in their new town :). Oh and im pretty fair at considering who should have a second chance or not. If players aren't being nice in the chat i have no problem muting them. Lastly when i see griefing or people being mean I right away post it on the forums and take screenshots. I live in Canada (Ontario) so i can be on when some staff are not ;).

Thanks,
Please consider me.

Good luck everyone else!

-[color=#00FF00]Puck[/color] Edited by puck101810

I am here to apply for CSO!

I have been a Member of YAMS for almost a year now! I would love to be CSO because I love helping and greeting fellow players. I am a nice person and a caring person towards everyone to the server, I love helping with projects and builds on YAMS. I try to dedicate much time to the server as I can.(Sorry for my absence I moved.) I try to think of many ideas and plans for the server like partys,etc.

And I try to help others as much as myself. I am very strict on swearing and will report all griefs,swearing(etc.) To the fellow Mods and Admins. I live in Scotland. I am not scared to jail or mute any player who trys to disrespect fellow Members and staff. I have good background of being staff, me and Lord_Verigan (Fellow Friend and Member) Have owned a server for quite some time. I hope you take my application under consideration.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Sincerely,[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#5A5A5A][font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Tyler #3 ;)[/size][/font][/color]