Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
duomenox

Newbie Questions

Hello everyone...

First of all I wanted to say that I have not logged in yet, I read the server rules and had a few questions...

My primary playing style is Survialist. I like to build my home & inventory and survive my first night etc... this server seems like I may need to alter my preferred playing style, which is OK, but I wanted to make sure I understood a few things first.

It seems that there are boundries (whether they are barriers or posted)... I'm assuming that means that I cannot travel off to far away lands and create a little "hunting cabin". It seems that all builds should be within designated areas and are dictated by a local building code. I understand the need for this on servers with large popluations but wanted to make sure that I understood if I can build outside the towns, and if so, what is acceptible.

Cave \ Ravine splunking... is this allowed (if they exist)? I'm assuming that in the main world if you explore any caves or ravines (that may or may not exist) that you are not to mine any materials from them. Again, understandable with large populations as the underground would eventually end up as a large hollow "bunker".

The mining world, I understand the purpose from the name :-) I'm assuming that Cave \ Ravine splunking are ok here as well as large scale mining operations. Is this a world that is without boundries (ie can I just run west for several real hours and start mining)? I understand that keeping the place tidy is important as well and I am less of a fan of strip or branch mining so splunking is my preferred mining style (when looking for ore/diamonds).

Mining bases... I understand they are not allowed. But what would be allowed. If I am undergorund and I place 10 furnaces, a chest and a workbench... I'm assuming this would be considered a mining base. If I put it there for everyone to use, is that ok? I usually like to start smelting matierals as I mine them and usually place a chest in a central area when mining as temporary storage. I'll carry furnaces around but I like to place a "permenant" furnace in areas with high ore content. I can adjust my playstyle if this is not allowed, I just wanted to ask first so I could go into this with a proper feel for the rules.

Bulding codes... I see either a tone of Cobble \ Stone buldings or a ton of wood buildings. I personally like to match materials so there is some diversity in my build. wood walls with stone framing etc... I looked at the towns in the forums and I didn't see a place where a lot of variety is allowed. I'm not looking for houses of pink and yellow wool... just something that allows me to be a bit creative and still fit in.

I think that is it... Sorry for the wall of text, I analyze things for a living... it's a natural thing for me to overthink something before diving ing :-P

Thanks for ready, I want to make sure I start off on the right foot.
(Also sorry for spelling errors, I've relied on spell check far to much in my lifetime).

Hello again,

Let me answer your questions for you. :)

[quote]It seems that there are boundries (whether they are barriers or posted)... I'm assuming that means that I cannot travel off to far away lands and create a little "hunting cabin". It seems that all builds should be within designated areas and are dictated by a local building code. I understand the need for this on servers with large popluations but wanted to make sure that I understood if I can build outside the towns, and if so, what is acceptible.[/quote]

We are a very community oriented server for this reason we stick together in towns, which are plot based, we find this helps keep the community together and so everyone has someone to talk too. Each town has various styles which make them unique, while in sandbox you will have a chance to explore each town and pick the town you which to build at. With all this said, we encourage our members to help out on both projects in their towns and other towns that they don’t live in. There’s lots of projects currently going on, this includes out of town builds. So yes you can build outside towns but only by helping out on projects, you cant just go and live in the wild I'm affraid.

[quote]Cave \ Ravine splunking... is this allowed (if they exist)? I'm assuming that in the main world if you explore any caves or ravines (that may or may not exist) that you are not to mine any materials from them. Again, understandable with large populations as the underground would eventually end up as a large hollow "bunker".[/quote]

You can explore the main world as you wish (unless its clear its not allowed) but we dont allow you to modify/mine terrain/caves/ravines (Including placing torces in caves) etc unless its part of a project or in the mining world, in the mining world you can explore all the wonderful caves and ravines as you wish, just dont build!

[quote]
The mining world, I understand the purpose from the name :-) I'm assuming that Cave \ Ravine splunking are ok here as well as large scale mining operations. Is this a world that is without boundries (ie can I just run west for several real hours and start mining)? I understand that keeping the place tidy is important as well and I am less of a fan of strip or branch mining so splunking is my preferred mining style (when looking for ore/diamonds).
[/quote]

Yes you are free to explore as you wish the mining world, just dont go out 2000 blocks etc away from spawn! There’s really no need to go out that far, you'll find loads of ores and ravines and what not closer by, thats not saying we dont want you to explore, I encourage you to do so! :) Just bear in mind you'll be loading new chunks that far out. We refresh the mining world from time to time.

[quote]Mining bases... I understand they are not allowed. But what would be allowed. If I am undergorund and I place 10 furnaces, a chest and a workbench... I'm assuming this would be considered a mining base. If I put it there for everyone to use, is that ok? I usually like to start smelting matierals as I mine them and usually place a chest in a central area when mining as temporary storage. I'll carry furnaces around but I like to place a "permenant" furnace in areas with high ore content. I can adjust my playstyle if this is not allowed, I just wanted to ask first so I could go into this with a proper feel for the rules.[/quote]

Placing chests, furnaces and a crafting table is ok depending what used for. Chests can be used for splitting materials with your mining team or to organise your items but should be removed if possible afterwards. Furnaces and crafting table can be used if you need to make tools etc but again please remove where possible. Mining bases are when people start creating dedicated areas in the mining world and call it their mining base (adding doors, signs, floors, etc). The mining world belongs to everyone, no one owns one part of it. It’s there for everyone to mine.

[quote]Bulding codes... I see either a tone of Cobble \ Stone buldings or a ton of wood buildings. I personally like to match materials so there is some diversity in my build. wood walls with stone framing etc... I looked at the towns in the forums and I didn't see a place where a lot of variety is allowed. I'm not looking for houses of pink and yellow wool... just something that allows me to be a bit creative and still fit in.[/quote]

Probably best you see the towns for yourself, remember theres always loads of out of town projects going on too! :)

[quote]I think that is it... Sorry for the wall of text, I analyze things for a living... it's a natural thing for me to overthink something before diving ing :-P[/quote]

No problem.

[quote]Thanks for ready, I want to make sure I start off on the right foot.
(Also sorry for spelling errors, I've relied on spell check far to much in my lifetime). [/quote]

Just glad someone is willing to actually take the time to read and understand how we work. :)

Good luck.

Thank you,
Darren

It's the factor that the further out you go, the laggier and slower the server gets as it's having to load much more then usual. There is no reason really to go out that far, there are plenty of ores left below the 2000 out mark 8) it's just the factor that everyone hits level 12 and mines for diamond only which causes the "there's no ores!" Issue.

Sign in to follow this