Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

Build Competition #1 - Spawn tower [OFFICIAL]

If you've read the news section of the forums lately, you’ll know that on the 18th of February 2013 we will have been in our current world for 1 year, seeing the same spawn tower day after day… well we are not getting rid of the current spawn tower any time soon, it still has life in it! ;)

But I’d like to give you all the chance to see if you can come up with a better and more effective design.

Rules:

• There will be 4 teams.
  • You will be put into a random team.
  • You will not be able to access or see other teams spawn tower designs.
  • You should not post images or show what your team is making to anyone not on your team!
  • You will be in creative world, however this means that to get home you will lose any experience levels or items on you so please be aware of that.
  • Your spawn tower, must be a tower of some sorts, so not a 1 level high building, it's called a spawn tower for a reason!
  • It must contain a rules room which can accommodate all the rules we have.
  • Can be a maximum of 190 height from sea level 62.
  • You can have ground floor on a different level to the current one (level 62) but it should merge with sea level eventually, so if you have stairs/steps around it, they must eventually lead to sea level 62 as that’s what the rest of spawn is built on.
  • It must have a railway station and this must have 4 railway lines just like our current one, the station floor can be at a different level to the current one (level 55) but the tracks should eventually merge with the current tracks which are on top of level 55.

Signing up:

• Post below at any point from now till the end date of 18th of February 2013 telling me you wish to take part.
  • You will be told individually how to access your build section once you are put in a random team and the world is created.
  • I shall create the world once I have enough initial members to fill 4 build sections.
  • Better to join sooner rather than latter as you'll gte more done but as I said above you can join at any time from now till the end date, this means people may be joining you half way through, please welcome them to your team.

Winning:

• The competition ends on the 18th of February 2013 at which point you should stop all work!
  • A judge panel will vote on the best spawn tower, no one on a team will be in this panel.
  • The winner will be announced a few days or so after the closing date.
  • Once the winner has been announced, we will allow everyone to view everyone elses spawn towers for a short period.
  • The winning team will receive prizes!

Small print:

• No winning or losing team will have their spawn town design built in the main world, but we my steal features from it for future use! Haha!

Good luck everyone! :D

Can I be a judge?!? 8D

I can’t reveal who will be my judges here to stop cheating. But if you wish to participate in the actual building please let me know, I'm hoping to have the map ready by tomorrow if we can get a good amount of initial people. Currently only 3 people have signed up which means we cant start until we have more. :(

I'd like to sign up!

My only concern is time zone... on weeknights I am available between 9am and 11pm (GMT - 7) (No DST Adjustments)...

On the weekends I can be on later / earlier... but it may not be as often or as long as I would like it.

If that would not be a problem for my team, I'm happy to do my best to contribute. I have some ideas and I know how to place blocks ;-P

I'd like to sign up!
My only concern is time zone... on weeknights I am available between 9am and 11pm (GMT - 7) (No DST Adjustments)...
On the weekends I can be on later / earlier... but it may not be as often or as long as I would like it.

If that would not be a problem for my team, I'm happy to do my best to contribute. I have some ideas and I know how to place blocks ;-P

Won't be a problem what your team can do is leave signs to communicate what needs doing to others not on!! And vice versa you can do what you think needs doing and leave some signs.... Actually come to think of it I have an idea! I will create a separate personal message topic for each team and include everyone who joins that team in it! Will help teams for initial planning! :)

Hello Team,

Not long left now, you have till Monday the 18th of February to finish your final design.

All your test (non final) designs should be left as they will be used to judge how you have worked as a team but they will not be used as a final decision maker in terms of your spawn tower building style.

We will also be judging your team communication and ability to have figured out things that may have not been mentioned in the rules but that would lead to an effective tower design as well as other things.

Your final design should be clearly marked by placing a perimeter of white wool around it.

Good luck!

Thank you,
Darren

Ok you've had 2 weeks and more than one person on your team so by now you should all be finished! I am aware however that some of your work was lost today due to a server crash so with this in mind I have given you all a little bit of an extension, say till tiday monday midnight GMT, which is just under 24 hours.... Just a little extra hey, far more than what was lost! ;)