Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

YAMS Castaway March 2013 #3 [OFFICIAL]

YAMS Castaway is back...

What is YAMS Castaway?
Basically it’s a survival world where you and others are castaways (a person who has been shipwrecked and stranded in an isolated place) and must start from scratch.

Is YAMS Castaway dangerous?
It's a pure survival world, so creepers and such are on... so yes it could be dangerous if you are not careful.

Will I have to work as a team?
Absolutely yes, you shouldn’t just disappear into the wildness never to be seen again, I would like to see a thriving community build from scratch! Work together to build a town/community, dont just build your own thing on your own somewhere where you dont take part.

How do we access it?
Head on down to the bottom of spawn tower, you’ll find two portals.

Wait two portals?
Yes, you can also visit Castaway 2011 (I don’t seem to have a copy of castaway 2012, going to see if madrad does), it’s a view only world but I really suggest you take a look to see how we worked together before you head to castaway 2012.

Will I lose my inventory?
Yes in castaway 2013 you will lose your inventory, at least what ever you have on you so best to leave everything at home. You won’t lose your inventory in castaway 2011.

Can I set my home inside castaway?

Thats a no in both worlds, in addition in castaway 2013 to get out of the world you will have to kill yourself. This is to keep inventories separate.

How long do we have?
A week at least!

Can I start now?

Yes go and visit the two worlds and start discussing with your fellow castaways to do, theres no building rules as such!

No building rules at all?

Correct, it's up to you and your fellow castaways to decide how your buildings look and how much space you use, you and the rest of the team have an entire world. Make your own judgements. Just remember to keep yourselves under control, last time we had to enforce rules becuase people got carried away, dont make me do that.

Anything else I should know?

I wont tolerate griefing/stealing (except the enderman and creepers) and such as we still are a family friendly server. Please don’t misbehave and ruin for everyone else by making me add extra rules.

Good luck have fun and dont let me down! Work together to create a wonderful community within a community! ;)

Any questions, ask below! :)

Ok seems like you started off good but now I'm not sure, I have a few things to say:

• I started building the first building the watch tower in the jungle, I asked for steps to go up to it this never happend! :(
  • You decided to build in the hilly area, fair enough if thats what you want to do as community but:
    • At least 2 people when on said they would like to build the town in the Jungle, this was myself and steer and seems at least a few others have started building in the jungle.
    • A much better town could have been built in the jungle, when do you ever get the chance in YAMS to build in the jungle?
    • Seemed at start you were building in jungle! :S
  • The community is disjointed, some people are in trees some people in the mountain and others god knows where. I was quite clear above about sticking together! Quite disapointed you havent.
  • Not even paths connecting houses, seems like everyones done their own thing and theres no correlation, just look at what we did in the last castaway we had a theme going (wild west), the theme this time could have been a jungle/treehouse/house on stilts type theme.
  • Theres no need need for plots but people should feel like they can fit in well.

Sorry but I really feel strongly about this.

I have made a pathway to my house and to verigan's house. Our houses are really close to Steer's tree which I can also make a path to, although the path to steer's tree would be around 2 blocks long :P

I also have gathered more seeds for the farms and even got a saddle so the community can have fun riding around on pigs ;)

Sorry but I have removed the notice board on the castaway 2013 map, we do still need one, but the board that was made says you can live in the wild "or" live in the town... this is not correct.... it shouldnt say this! Bad...... *cough* namscupcake *cough* >.>

I asume thats why everyone thougth it was ok to go into the wild and not stick together?

I quite clearly said to build a town not live in the wild, supposed to work together as community building a town. :(

Sorry but I have removed the notice board on the castaway 2013 map, we do still need one, but the board that was made says you can live in the wild "or" live in the town... this is not correct.... it shouldnt say this! Bad...... *cough* namscupcake *cough* >.>

I asume thats why everyone thougth it was ok to go into the wild and not stick together?

I quite clearly said to build a town not live in the wild, supposed to work together as community building a town. :(

I did ask other people before about it, and they said that's fine and they read it and said it was ok :(

Can I remind you all:

• Please stay close to the community, the main aim of this world was to build a town "all" together!
  • Help build pathways to those who are isolated so they feel like they are a part of something. Also little things like seats and such on the way towards people's houses.
  • Please dont mess around with peoples houses. It starts with blocking their entrance with vines, then leaves, then it starts getitng silly filling their houses with leaves and dirt. Something like this happened in the past castaway and people got out of hand and used TNT! So please calm down a little, it also doesnt make the place look nice.
  • You can create big jungle trees by using 4 jungle saplings in one 2x2 space.
Still really feel the community is split all around the map with people not sure what they can or cant do, you're supposed to me making a community/town.

Please dont make me not make another castaway again! :( Or worse close the one we have now! :(

I've only been in castaway for a few hours (just started today) I'll see where I can contribute to make some more public places.

I started in the Jungle since I thought that is where we were building... and Nams made all those nice pathways... I really think a Treehouse theme would be fun as we cannot build those in the main world. It is starting to look like an Ewok village... which is kinda cool... even if you don't like Ewoks.

I see that we all are a little spaced out.. I'm not sure if a few people are really far out there... I know i was just trying to find a nice place on the water, and not muddy up the shoreline near the ship.

I know that alot of us are connecting our treehomes with catwalks/walkways... i think once everyone get their little part of the map squared away you will see more of the community areas pop up (at least I hope so).

On the same note, I have started my "deck" of my treefort... if anyone wants to link up to me please let me know and I will start building a catwalk. I saw a great "junction point" where a catwalk already existed, but took a 90 degree turn... I'll see who that walk belongs to and get permission to link up.

Also please feel free to let me know if there is something more specific I can do to help out.

I've only been in castaway for a few hours (just started today) I'll see where I can contribute to make some more public places.

Great!

I started in the Jungle since I thought that is where we were building...

Well I hoped people would build in the Jungle (robinson crusoe, castaway, star wars ewok village etc) as soon as I generated this map, pure luck it had a jungle as an island (it's actually an island), I actually lost the map in the process of setting it up but as I liked it so much (the jungle on an island) I managed too recover the seed number from the logs and recreate the boat scene.

I had to place the boat in deep enough water but not too near other biomes/islands that people might use, there was a Desert, Taiga and extreme hills, but we never get to build in the jungle so tried to place boat as best as possible to make people think good idea to build in Jungle.

and Nams made all those nice pathways...

Which ones? :S I know Nikki made the paths for me on the lakes + where the tunnel is that goes to your place. As I wanted to try and connect everyone so people didn't feel isolated.

I really think a Treehouse theme would be fun as we cannot build those in the main world. It is starting to look like an Ewok village... which is kinda cool... even if you don't like Ewoks.

Me too, exact reason why I tried to recover the map seed when I lost it, so makes me sad there's a separate town of people in the extreme hills area instead of using the jungle. :( Though more people have built in jungle now which is good but of course just means we have one kind of community one end and another the other end! We were all supposed to be together, that was the only real stipulation on me running castaway, that we stick together.

I see that we all are a little spaced out.. I'm not sure if a few people are really far out there... I know i was just trying to find a nice place on the water, and not muddy up the shoreline near the ship.

Yours is fine there was a road there that Nikki made, of course would have been more better if others too had built around the watch tower like I suggested at one point, asked multiple times for stairs to be built to the watch tower and never happened so I ended up doing it myself the next day. I also made some roads higher up in the hills where I was hoping people would build their houses.

I know that alot of us are connecting our treehomes with catwalks/walkways... i think once everyone get their little part of the map squared away you will see more of the community areas pop up (at least I hope so).

Yep Steers and Nikkis place is connected along with tunas by catwalks, so to carry on that theme (the one I was hoping for at the start and a few people where ignored when said we should do it) I started growing more high jungle trees and building a catwalk that goes from my house to the watch tower then another tree where it then was going to go to Nikkis and steers and also a catwalk towards you. We also have AustinSeb further back in the wild so I need to try and connect him up too.

On the same note, I have started my "deck" of my treefort... if anyone wants to link up to me please let me know and I will start building a catwalk. I saw a great "junction point" where a catwalk already existed, but took a 90 degree turn... I'll see who that walk belongs to and get permission to link up.

May be the one I mentioned above I'm building, I'll see if I can get on latter and continue this.

Also please feel free to let me know if there is something more specific I can do to help out.

Give me all your items as payment to rent a place on this island? :D Just kidding, but will do! :)

Hey Steer, I'd like to tie into the catwalk between you and Nikki if that's okay. I started to "just do it" last night since I figured the catwalks are probably public but then stopped since I realized you and/or Nikki may already have plans for it and I didn't wanna muck anyone's view. Anyway, there's now a small jut on your catwalk between the two of you where I started to tie-in so you/Nikki can see exactly where I was thinking of starting a 3-wide connection. I was thinking of placing few stairs down for a bit so that my new walkway doesn't block the view from your house until I get away a bit and then stair/bridge/ladder up to link to a platform on a 4x4 tree near Mahogany Bridge where I've decided to setup my "Knest."

So, that's a rough idea of what I have in mind. I'm already "pathed" on the ground level, and was hoping to connect to someone in the limbs as well so please let me know if I can do so at that spot, thanks.

Edited by knetknight

Thx. I was originally okay with just a ground path connection but once I was up in the tree I liked the other links I saw and your catwalk is the closest. So, yes, I'll either build another platform lower or find a way to gracefully address the level change. Maybe with a supporting tree or other natural structure midpoint for a deck before it continues to my plat. Anyway, thanks, I'll try to be tasteful but I'm obviously so far behind the curve of what you experienced Yammies can crank out. I won't let that deter me though... I'm a slow starter but I can usually turn out pretty good (well, acceptable maybe) work once I get my creative bearings.

And, might I mention... I'm finding Castaway and building in the trees a bit more dangerous than standard YAMS. LOL. I don't think I've yet died even once in standard YAMS, but I experienced terminal velocity at least twice last night just while building just my first basic platform. That's when I learned that "sneak" is my friend and won't even let me walk over an edge... something I didn't know until last night after much fretting (and a couple of deaths!). So, yeah, I'm definitely a newbie and was harshly reminded of that last night. But persistence will prevail, you all inspire me.

Cya in the trees.

We also have AustinSeb further back in the wild so I need to try and connect him up too.

EberleGirls and I arrived at night and we assumed it was to be a jungle theme and started building up the first free, large tree we could find. It was night and there were creepers chasing us and in our rush to reach a safe spot, I'm afraid we didn't see the town at all! We assumed everyone was scattered in treehouses around the jungle. Later, after we started building and getting hungry, we went looking for food and found the town, but we didn't want to move because this is our only chance to build a jungle treehouse in YAMS! But we definitely intend to start building catwalks from our place out to others.

Just FYI, I'll be on later to add a proper "house" to my knest platforms. I made my catwalk connection to my plats, worked on the shroom room, just explored Castaway a bit to see what others had done, and then went on a challenging YAMS quest with MhostGhost -- one of the top reasons we joined YAMS together in the first place, and what a splendid adventure it was (still is) I might add!

But, I'll get back to Castaway next since there's a looming wrap-up time and will finish up my treehouse in the next night or two to better fit in with "the others." (LOST anyone?) So, just wanted you to know my treehouse is not done and that I know it's not done so I'll get back to it -- then again is anything in YAMS truly ever "done"? I think what makes YAMS great is that it's always in a constant state of improvement.

Castaway is such a brilliantly beautiful place and I love the jungle sunsets and all the varied construction, very beautiful place.

Ah, nothing like sipping a tea at Y:93

Sign in to follow this