Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
SwanofWar

Members Only Free-build Sandbox [SUGGESTION]

I'd like some feedback on this idea I've been bouncing around for a while now. In YAMS, were always looking for ways to have more fun together. When we get on, we members look to collect materials, play games, socialize, or help with community builds. Why not add another option?

What I'd like to propose is a members-only sandbox zone. This zone would be a large empty area where members (those who own and have completed a house) can go to just build whatever they want.

Now, there are some obvious oppositions to this idea. First, we already have the test build world where members can design ideas for community builds. Why would we need a sandbox? The sandbox would be different because it's not meant for projects. The sandbox would be purely for goofying around. Members could build pixel statues or pyramids or whatever struck their fancy that day. And just like the Mineworld, the sandbox would be regularly recycled, so nothing built there would be permament. However, should a member come up with an idea there that they'd like to make a permament build, they can take their idea to the test-build zone.

Another question you might have is, where would the materials come from for these sandbox builds? I think the best idea would be having members bring their own materials. Doing so would encourage members to keep the sandbox clean, since any materials they left behind would be lost during the recycle later that week. Thus, it would be suggested to all members that they clean up their sandbox creations once they were done using the area, or risk losing their materials. It would also help prevent more expensive and rare materials from being used and possibly wasted.

Lastly, I would like to emphasize that members would only be allowed in the free-build zone if they had joined a town and completed their house. This would act as a reward for completing your house and help encourage progress, as well as prevent lollygagging.

Please let me know what you think of my proposition and thank you for reading!

Ok I guess I better reply to this, not ignoring it just busy with the wither stuff for tomorrow. :)

As you already know (as you mentioned above and have built there before) we already have the test build world, there's one section in it that states:

Member Test Build Area

In this area anyone can test their ideas and designs for things that are not necessarily for a town or ongoing project but that could still be a part of YAMS somewhere.

Of course it's not full on do what you want, but it's at least something.

As I mentioned in my first post about the test world and as madrad also mentioned above we did actually have an area in the old world where members could come and build anything (see old post here) but it never really worked. That's why we run the test world the way we do now, you know how it's setup ;) and that it works quite well.

I did think about having a section where people could do whatever, but decided against it for many reasons, so here's a few:

1. It didn't really work last time as I said above.

2. We should be focusing on the community projects, it's hard enough getting people involved now, the way the test build is setup ensures people don't stray away from that too much.

3. We are not a free build server, but there's plenty of other places out there, also single player!

4. An extra world? More resources for server to handle + more work for us, its hard enough now managing things, we could do with more staff.

I understand we can be restrictive on what is built on yams, but I do take all suggestions into account, one of the reasons why we have the section where you can build things that are not for a town or an active project, so I can see it for myself and say nope still think it's bad idea or hey that's really good lets get it built!

If there's an issue with towns? And that you don't feel like you can build anywhere? Raise this with your town moderator, they have direct control over towns, I only step in if I really think it's not a good idea, or when things are too slow....

So thank you for your suggestion, but sorry for the time being this is a no.

I have added you to Skype, should you wish me to explain it further why not or anything else for that matter we can talk! :)

Ok I guess I better reply to this, not ignoring it just busy with the wither stuff for tomorrow. :)

As you already know (as you mentioned above and have built there before) we already have the test build world, there's one section in it that states:

Of course it's not full on do what you want, but it's at least something.

As I mentioned in my first post about the test world and as madrad also mentioned above we did actually have an area in the old world where members could come and build anything (see old post here) but it never really worked. That's why we run the test world the way we do now, you know how it's setup ;) and that it works quite well.

I did think about having a section where people could do whatever, but decided against it for many reasons, so here's a few:

1. It didn't really work last time as I said above.

2. We should be focusing on the community projects, it's hard enough getting people involved now, the way the test build is setup ensures people don't stray away from that too much.

3. We are not a free build server, but there's plenty of other places out there, also single player!

4. An extra world? More resources for server to handle + more work for us, its hard enough now managing things, we could do with more staff.

I understand we can be restrictive on what is built on yams, but I do take all suggestions into account, one of the reasons why we have the section where you can build things that are not for a town or an active project, so I can see it for myself and say nope still think it's bad idea or hey that's really good lets get it built!

If there's an issue with towns? And that you don't feel like you can build anywhere? Raise this with your town moderator, they have direct control over towns, I only step in if I really think it's not a good idea, or when things are too slow....

So thank you for your suggestion, but sorry for the time being this is a no.

I have added you to Skype, should you wish me to explain it further why not or anything else for that matter we can talk! :)

Yeah, after hearing that there used to be something like it that was never used I don't think it's a good idea anymore either.  But I'm glad I put it out there just in case all the same :)

Sign in to follow this