Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
ZhonLord

Enchantment Exchange [SUGGESTION]

With the introduction of enchantable books, it's become MUCH easier to avoid wasting precious diamonds on an enchantment you didn't want, or not getting the enchantment you did want (everyone loves silk touch, for example).  But because the books can get ANY enchantment, we're all going to get ones that we don't particularly find useful.

So how about we set up a chest or shop of some kind, fill it with various enchantments, and set it up so that people can trade in an enchantment they don't want for one they DO want of equal quality?  (e.g. Smite V for Sharpness V, Flame II for Fire Protection II, etc.)  Or, potentially trade in two enchantments of one level below the desired (Flaming I and Fall protection I for a Smite II) so that when enough enchantmens accumulate it will be easy to combine into the next level up.  Trading for silk touch would be kinda tricky, since it only has level I but it's so useful and everyone wants it, so maybe make it equal to a level IV or V enchantment for exchange purposes.

It might also need someone to keep track of enchantments going in and out to make sure people don't just take without giving back, but from what I've seen of the community so far that's more of a precaution than a necessity.

What do you guys think?

Edited by ZhonLord

Hey,

Interesting idea, a few concerns:

1. Where would it go?
a. There's the enchanment room in spawn, could it just be a chest there? Though I feel thats a bit close for stealers to abuse it! :(
b. There's the shopping centre? A bit more out of the way, but there's plenty of rooms. But then also we normally charge for rooms! Community donations to keep it alive? ;)
c. An exsisting enchamtnent shop?

2. Who would maintain it?
a. If in the enchantment room, much wouldnt need to be done, pretty much free for all. 
b. If a new shop, this may need to be maintained with the use of proper sign boards and such.
c. If an exsisting shop, then that person would have to be happy about it.

3. Would this impact on shops?
Are there any shops that this would impact on and would not be too happy, as loosing business?
If there's an enchantment shop and this thing, that shop could loose out on business.

Just a few things to think about. We need to be fair to all while at the same time stopping theifs/abuse and preventing giving extra work load to others! :)

Thanks,
Darren

If there is not another enchantment shop, I am willing to give donations to help pay for the shop's rent in the shopping center.

Also, I think it is a good idea if you can trade level I books for different level I books; level 2 books for different level 2 books, etc.  I don't think we should necesarily put five level 1 books in for one level 5 book because that is unfair. It is almost like making 5 level 1 books using one level of enchantment "glitter" for 1 level 5 book that took 25+ levels of enchantment "glitter".

I can check around the shopping center tonight to check for another enchantment shop, unless someone gets to the shopping center before tonight. ;) If we have one, then I don't think we should ruin their business and continue through with the project, but if not, I am willing to help set up, gather books, help pay rent, etc. :)

Also, I think it is a good idea if you can trade level I books for different level I books; level 2 books for different level 2 books, etc.  I don't think we should necesarily put five level 1 books in for one level 5 book because that is unfair. It is almost like making 5 level 1 books using one level of enchantment "glitter" for 1 level 5 book that took 25+ levels of enchantment "glitter".

Which is specifically why I said two books  of one level lower.  e.g. two level 4 books for a level 5.  otherwise yeah, the junk buildup would happen pretty fast.

To darren's points:

1.  Shopping center would probably work, I'd happily help with the rent since it was my idea to start with.  The enchanting room in spawn has too much potential for abuse, like you said.

2.  If we set it up in a new shop, I can stop in regularly to organize the inventory, adjust signs, etc.  If anyone already has an existing enchantment shop and would be willing to incorporate a chest like this and keep it maintained, I'd be glad to pay them rent on the chest itself.

3.  This would have an impact on shops too, but a positive one.  Say the owner of an enchantment shop ends up with too many enchantments of a certain kind after burning all their experience on it.  Rather than farming up xp again for more, they can use the exchange to change out some enchantments, potentially get a higher-level book or two, and add more variety to what he/she has available to sell for people who don't have the time/experience to enchant on their own.  Or he/she can trade a higher level book for a pair of lower level ones and combine them for less experience than if it had been enchanted to full naturally, then sell it for profit.  Everyone wins.

Edited by ZhonLord

my oppinion this time is to side with darren on people stealing things its just to tempting to create something like das uber (a diamond sword with 16 enchants) and i think das uber is a waste

Sign in to follow this