Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

22/06/2013 - YAMS and Minecraft 1.6

Minecraft 1.6 is out next week! :D

May I remind you that as before with previous updates, we cant update the server to Minecraft 1.6 straight away for the simple fact that we have to wait until Bukkit / CraftBukkit and plugins have updated themselves to the latest version of Minecraft, without these plugins we could not guarantee the smooth running of YAMS. There is currently no statement from Bukkit concerning Minecraft 1.6, however as soon as they post one, if they do, I'll let you know.

Minecraft 1.6 is not a backwards compatible update, meaning if you update to 1.6 you will not be able to connect to a 1.5.2 server (what we are currently on).

I suggest you do not update to Minecraft 1.6 straight away until we have updated to 1.6.

However should you wish to go and play 1.6 without us, please take the necessary steps before hand to be able to downgrade should you wish to come back and play on YAMS if you get bored! ;)

Here are your options:

[hr]

1. Backup your bin folder or the minecraft.jar file.

It is important you do this before you update if you wish to come back to YAMS before we update.

Bin folder located at the following locations ( “~” = username):

Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\~\Application Data\.minecraft
Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and R2: C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft
Linux: /home/~/.minecraft
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft

You can also find this location by going to Texture Packs (on the main menu) -> Open Texture pack folder -> Then going up a folder level till you see the bin folder. Or for example on windows you could type in your explorer bar %appdata%/.minecraft

2. Use the new launcher.

There is a new Minecraft launcher that allows you to change which version of Minecraft you are playing on, you can get the development versions here:

You'll need to create a new profile with Minecraft 1.5.2 as an option.

3. Use a Minecraft downgrade version program.

If you forget to do take a copy of you bin file etc and the new launcher doesn't work for you then you'll need to use a program like McNostalgia to come back, however bear in mind this takes a while to update.

[hr]
As always I will keep you updated on the latest news of updating, if you have any concerns relating to YAMS and Minecraft 1.6 please feel free to ask in here and I'm sure someone will be able to answer you. Though some questions we wont know the answer too till it happens!

As explained in the past, please remember things may take a little while to be fully sorted once we do update.

Thank you,
Darren and the rest of the YAMS Staff.

A very unstable developmental build of CraftBukkit has been relesased, there will be many bugs with this I'm sure so I wont be moving YAMS to this just yet, but I will be keeping an eye on things and test any stable uncoming builds. We also have to wait for plugins to update.

Just as quick update, I have not forgotten about Minecraft 1.6. I just need to make sure its stable! :)

Two reported bugs stopping me from updating include:

I know how people hate it when all animals get killed in farms, I don't want to add to this and certainly don't want to lag people with 100-1000's of ocelots spawning.

I will check tomorrow see if there's been an update.

I have been testing CraftBukkit 1.6 this morning with the YAMS world to see what happens and I can confirm ocelots are a problem! The spawn rate of them is way too high. It's crazy!

Horses can be found in our current world (plains biome) but requires a lot of wild animal killing before you find one, this is because animals are persistent which means in theory they wont despawn (even unloaded chunks) and no more will spawn when the limit is reached. So you have to kill animals to allow for new ones to spawn!

I do have a command to kill animals (only works if chunk is loaded) and sometimes I use it to get wild animal count flowing again however it also currently kills horses, both wild and tamed... so animals in the plain biome will need killing manually if you want to see horses appear.

I spent a long time going around killing stuff and eventually nearly an hour latter I saw 2 horses, I stole the parent horse away from the baby and took him to spawn, the foal didn't follow. :O

I will keep you updated as always but for now we are staying on 1.5.2. Also 1.6.2 will be out soon so it's pointless updating now to 1.6.1, this release does fix quite a bit of the non bukkit bugs, like not being able to place signs on fences with text! :S

14n8.png
uqw1.png
ha9.png

Ocelot bug has apparently been fixed:

This ticket was mistakenly marked as "Won't Fix" due to there being two issues at hand here.

Ocelots are implemented in such a way that they are supposed to spawn more than other mobs (based on the code - whether this was intended or not is a different story), so this aspect of ocelots 'spawning out of control' IS an issue in Vanilla and is why this ticket was marked as 'won't fix'.

At the same time, however, there is another issue created by our support for plugin controlled entity persistence and recent changes to the despawning handling for Ocelots and Wolves in Minecraft 1.6.x. Basically, due to how we handle persistence, Ocelots and Wolves are being set to persist without taking into account the 2 minute lifespan they have if they have not been tamed, resulting in them never despawning. Couple this with the Vanilla behaviour/bug of Ocelots being able to spawn without any limits and we have a problem.

This second issue is definitely a bug on our end and something we will be fixing. I'm pushing a temporary hack to fix this issue for now, however it does not take into account plugin controlled entity persistence.

I still dont think the latest version of CraftBukkit is stable enough and ceratinly doesnt allow plugins to fully take advantage of some of the new things in Minecraft 1.6, I will however try to get us to on 1.6 by the end of the week (if plugins all work), we do really need to move along!

UPDATE:

Yams will be going down at 19:30 BST (in 10 minutes) for final testing of getting minecraft 1.6 on YAMS.

During this time you will not be able to connect it will say not whitelisted.

Don't panic we will back soon and hopefully with 1.6! :)

I will let you know here as soon as you can get back on, hopefully 30 minutes to an hour.

Thanks,

Darren

Update should be complete, you may now update to 1.6! :)

Please bare in mind:

• There are bugs still in 1.6, see any please report them! :)
  • Ocelots still spawn way too much, for the time being they have been blocked.
  • Chairs plugin has broke.

I may need to restart a few times latter if I need to update any plugins, have fun! :)

P.S. Come see Trojan the Horse at the new stables in spawn.

Quick question, is anyone else getting weird lag spikes when riding a horse, like it stops moving then jets forward in whatever way the keys were pressed while idle :S . Am fine when off the horse, but not when on it :(.

Update should be complete, you may now update to 1.6! :)

Please bare in mind:

• There are bugs still in 1.6, see any please report them! :)
  • Ocelots still spawn way too much, for the time being they have been blocked.
  • Chairs plugin has broke.

I may need to restart a few times latter if I need to update any plugins, have fun! :)

P.S. Come see Trojan the Horse at the new stables in spawn.

Just to make you aware:

• Ocelot spawning has been re-enabled.
  • Chairs plugin is still broke, not much I can do about this.