Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

Build Challenge #4 - Metropolis 2013 [OFFICIAL]

Wow we haven't done a build challenge in so long!

That's why when namscupcake made a wish in the indoor wishing well (inside the shopping centre) that she wanted to do another Metropolis world that I jumped on this opportunity to revive them. After all the first build challenge we did was a Metropolis, so seemed fitting that the next build challenge after so much time was another Metropolis.

I have consulted with nams and she has chosen (I wanted it to be her choice as its her wish) that this Metropolis (City) will be made from scratch in a new world using creative mode (last year we did it in survival).

Confused?

Ok so basically I have setup a creative world where you "should" all work together to build a Metropolis, a city that could be out of real life. The city should have a road system and can include skyscrapers that reach the limit of our atmosphere.

There should also be some sort of public transport system. An example for this could be an underground rail system (styled on the London Underground) or an above ground one (like the Nolan Gotham City)

Tell everyone that you know to come and help out you only have 1 week. Let's make this better then last years.

Wait what happened last year?

Well it just so happens that I have reopened last years metropolis 2012 world as a view only world, you can find the portal at the bottom of the spawn tower in the build challenge section. You will not loose any items or experience levels by going to this world, just /home or /spawn to get out of it. 

What about this years?

The portal for the current Metropolis is also down there too, just be aware to not take any items or experience levels with you that you don't want to loose as once in that world the only way back is to go into survival mode (/gm 0) and kill yourself.

Well I hope you all have fun, please use your imagination and creativity to it's fullest to build a wonderful city.

Thanks to nams for her wish, if you want a wish to come true visit the shopping centre indoor wishing well and make a wish too, this isn't the first wish I have made come true from there and certainly wont be the last...

I forgot to make room for pavements under the motorway crossing.

Should i make walkbridges over it, or take the job to wide out the tunnel?

Looks good how you have done it! :)

By the way could someone start on the following, some of which are very basic stuff that you all seem to have forgotten about! ;)

1. A railway station, proper one!

2. A subway system, or monorail system.

3. Farming area on outskirts.

4. Industrial/factory area on outskirts, maybe connected too the railway as well.

5. Rivers/ Dock area?

6. Police station / Jail

7. Hospital

8. School

9. Library

10. Museum

11. Church

12. Courthouse

13. Sports something or another.

And that's only a "few" theres plenty more! ;)

A main shopping street would be nice as well. Something like a High Street with your everyday clothes shops/pharmacy/pound shops etc

And supermarkets! Don't forget the supermarkets :P

They would probably fit best in residential areas...

Hmm! This police station was a nut to crack. I tried to break up te design  a bit and make it more assymetrical. But doing that creates small design flaws here and there, for example a stair gets in the way for a roof, the lamp pattern wont fit, the roof gets to low one Place, when i change it it makes yet other problems. Like the rubic cube feeling! You push and tweek, but its always a piece that get in the way.

Btw i have dropped the super hero plans. Even If I had get perm to make it, it isnt as easy as I thought to make it look cool. And thats even before Ive solved my already explained problems :(

But i want to get this building get finished instead of starting all over!

Hmm! This police station was a nut to crack. I tried to break up te design  a bit and make it more assymetrical. But doing that creates small design flaws here and there, for example a stair gets in the way for a roof, the lamp pattern wont fit, the roof gets to low one Place, when i change it it makes yet other problems. Like the rubic cube feeling! You push and tweek, but its always a piece that get in the way.

Btw i have dropped the super hero plans. Even If I had get perm to make it, it isnt as easy as I thought to make it look cool. And thats even before Ive solved my already explained problems :(

But i want to get this building get finished instead of starting all over!

What I saw of the police station looked good to me, also I appreciate the roads you did. :)

So a couple of you tried out my airport security earlier and gave feedback :D Thanks to you the skies of metropolis will be much safer! ;)

Others however somewhat failed security (looks at lord) :ph34r:

rqxi.png

Ok consider this open for a "little" bit longer.... please focus on finishing the unfinished buildings, regardless of whether you made it or not, no one owns any one single building its a joint world with a joint community effort. :)

Also some of the roads need finishing and also a general tidy up of everything, including trees bushes, seats bins etc.. you know details! :)

Ok consider this open for a "little" bit longer.... please focus on finishing the unfinished buildings, regardless of whether you made it or not, no one owns any one single building its a joint world with a joint community effort. :)

Also some of the roads need finishing and also a general tidy up of everything, including trees bushes, seats bins etc.. you know details! :)

Urgent assistance required at the airport to get it finished in time.

area is marked out for tarmac, area within needs grass changing to stone and a 3 or 4 high iron fence around perimeter please.

Aoelos airlines will be forever grateful for this :)

Urgent assistance required at the airport to get it finished in time.

area is marked out for tarmac, area within needs grass changing to stone and a 3 or 4 high iron fence around perimeter please.

Aoelos airlines will be forever grateful for this :)

Free airline tickets for life to those that help? :)

@Kolayhe Im sorry to say this, but you have to modify Your pool behind the police station. The entrance is placed into the motorway, but we cant have pavements there you know :) You must Mirror the dock over to the other side of the pool and make a path from the side of the police garage.

As a reminder, metropolis is only open for a "little" bit longer... please focus on finishing the unfinished buildings, regardless of whether you made it or not, no one owns any one single building its a joint world with a joint community effort. No more new buildings should be made now, focus on the existing ones!

Also a general tidy up of everything, including trees bushes, seats bins etc.. you know details! :)

Ok, so turns out runway went on quite a bit farther than i did last night >.> but, thanks to Jon, lottie, & philymon4 we got it done! I also finished the roof on duty free at airport, and will start on fence.

EDIT: Lottie and me finished the fence :)

Sign in to follow this