Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Rule

Rule books [Suggestion]

I was thinking this in aid of any youngsters who might not know enough about computers to install Optifine. It's like this: 

Instead of having hundreds of signs at spawn, using written books to contain the rules might be a nice option. Something that could really make it effective would be to employ someone to make a Bukkit plugin that keeps players at the spawn point, immobile and unable to pick up drops etc (Like AFK protection), until 10 seconds after they reach the last page of the book (or something). That would ensure they read them. The ideal method would be to have the server give players the rules on spawn, as a kit, to save having to create tons of written books in survival with the same text.

So yeah, it's a little messy because it does involve plugins, but I think it would dramatically improve the spawn area for those who are unable to use Optifine.

Hello thanks for your suggestion, books have been suggested before unfortunately I don't think its really a viable solution even with a plugin that stops people moving till read (I don't like these), same reason why there's not a non build group.

Anyway signs allow us to quickly group rules together and change them quick as nessesary, we do change rules from time to time. Books are a pain to edit even with plugins and could contain outdated rules causing confusion (even if you add a date).

Signs in spawn tower are also not the only ones causing the lag, sandbox, shopping centre, smaller buildings etc. I did extensive testing recently removing areas + all signs on a copy of the map to work out what and where was laggy.

1.5.2 never had any problems with signs, it was 1.6 that cuased the issue. Theres actually a bug report on it.

I have been looking into ways to reduce lag but logistically books are not the solution, also it's not just signs... Also chests, paintings, item frames etc

Sorry if sound negative, I have to take everything into consideration but thanks again for the suggestion, you mean well. :)

Oh, ok. No worries, a suggestion is a suggestion, and actually what you said makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Mojang can fix the text bug. I don't really get why it should have changed between 1.5 and 1.6, although the new snapshot has had something like 50000 lines of code changed (says a friend) - perhaps the sign fix makes part of that. I've just thought of a new suggestion, should I make a new thread, or am I being a nuisance? 

... don't ask why I'm up so late/early. I don't even know :P

Edited by ToaTom

Sign in to follow this