Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

Microsoft buys Mojang!

I am kinda going both ways about this. I get that Mojang, or Notch in particular, doesn't want to have to compete with himself and receive all the complaints/hate, however, I feel like he could have just given the company over to someone else if he wanted to keep the game in tact. Microsoft wants to make money, and 2.5 billion is not really much for them, but they now are in the position to say that they get monetization money from youtube ads, which would completely mess up all the community members that do youtube full time now, and they could fire all the mojangsters and replace them with new devs that will take the game a whole different way. (I really hope that they will keep the current devs) Another thing is the minecraft community is nothing like any other fan base that Microsoft has had before, so I am interested to see how this all plays out, and hope that there will not be a substantial difference to the game than what we are used to.

EDIT: After more thought, it also came to my mind that Microsoft could charge a monthly subscription, charges for skins/mods/plugins, and name changes...they could just micro transaction everything >.>

EDIT: After more thought, it also came to my mind that Microsoft could charge a monthly subscription, charges for skins/mods/plugins, and name changes...they could just micro transaction everything >.>

Which Microsoft is MORE than capable of doing, and have done in the past.

Honestly, I'm depressed.  Microsoft has rarely - if ever - treated the things it buys from others with care.  Neglect happens so often that I seriously think they let things stagnate so they can pull ahead.  And their business policies have not shown any sign of improving over what they've done in the last few years, one bad decision after another.  This could very easily be bad news for Minecraft.

I just read this on the microsoft page which looks promising in some aspects...mainly keeping the community and devs in tact...O and minecon/youtube

"Our relationship with Mojang began when we initially talked to the team about bringing Minecraft to the console. Minecraft quickly became the top online game on Xbox Live, with over two billion hours played on Xbox 360 in the last two years. That working relationship set the ground work for other opportunities. We’ve long seen the incredible potential of Minecraft.

At Microsoft, we believe in the power of content to unite people. Minecraft adds diversity to our game portfolio and helps us reach new gamers across multiple platforms. Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise. That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC.

The Minecraft community is passionate and diverse, ranging across all ages and demographics. We respect the brand and independent spirit that has made Minecraft great, and we’ll carry on the tradition of innovation to move the franchise forward. Our investments in cloud, Xbox Live and mobile technology will enable players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect with the Minecraft community.

We’re excited to confirm that MINECON will continue next year. We’ll look to create even more ways for the vibrant community of YouTuber’s, innovators, bloggers and players to connect with each other – both in person and online. We will have much more to share in the coming months.

The Minecraft team’s unique vision, creative energy and innovative mindset make them a perfect fit alongside our other global studios. Microsoft Studios includes 343 Industries, Turn 10 Studios, and Lionhead Studios just to name a few. These industry-leading game studios within Microsoft that have had great success with beloved games and massively popular franchises like Halo, Forza, and Fable. We’re excited to welcome Mojang to the Microsoft family and we are thrilled to support the success and longevity of Minecraft for years to come."

Phil

@XboxP3

Sign in to follow this