Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
darrenstraight

Build competition #3 - Fly YAMS high with pride!

I have an exciting competition for all you Minecraft players on YAMS! :D

In our 2011-2012 world we had YAMS spelled out on the main spawn station.

p5208.png

In our current 2012-2015 world we have YAMS spelled out on the side of the shopping centre.

w2n6ur.png

As well as down below in spawn tower station.

znkjsz.png

But for our new world, its time to rise high and fly the YAMS lettering high with pride!

Here's some ideas on how you could have YAMS spelled out in the air:

• Have the word YAMS down the side of a plane.
  • Have the word YAMS on a flying banner that is being pulled by a plane.
  • Have the word YAMS in the sky as smoke trailing from a plane!
  • Have the word YAMS down the side of a blimp or barrage balloon.
  • Have the word YAMS down the side of an Airship.
  • Have the word YAMS around the sides of the Hot Air Balloon!
  • Have the word YAMS spelled out by 4 hot air balloons side by side, so each balloon is a letter.

You get the idea, find a creative way to display the words YAMS in the air so it can be seen from spawn tower or even down below. :)

The competition is open from now until sometime before we move (sorry no date yet), everyone can take part including staff who have been helping me with the new world.

The winner will of course get their build displayed in the new world as that's what we need it for and depending on what was built and how its been built I will try and make a warp to it, so don't forget to add details and such. :)

If you would like to take part, please take a wander down to the bottom of spawn tower where you will find the events portal section with a portal to the fly high world. You'll want to make sure you leave your items at home, you will also loose experience to use it up before visiting!

sounds like fun..... need to conquer my fear of heights lol

I do have an idea though, could we not have the enderdragon breathing fire in the words of yams ;)

Interesting concept :D though having the ender dragon over our spawn city would over shadow everything else! :O

I notice only one person has taken part so far, that is Sam (spamfg), would appreciate it if others could take part too, just think you'll be able to see it in the new world and know that you made it! :)

One thing I was thinking would be rather cool would be a massive flag possibly on top of spawn tower that could read YAMS on both sides  (I can't come one until monday where my connection isn't unstable).

Ok! So this is what I've come up with:

2015-03-08_13.54.11_zpseuugr7fk.png

2015-03-08_13.54.34_zpszwsnm8w2.png

The banner itself can be read either side from left to right as it's double thickness - I didn't know what kind of design to go for though, I did try it out in grey but it was a little boring so I added more colour! Everyone's thoughts are welcome! We could even go with the rail line colours in stripes like the bottom design.

2015-03-08_13.53.19_zpshh1yjnks.png

2015-03-08_13.53.10_zpskthwbgyi.png

Ok! So this is what I've come up with:

2015-03-08_13.54.11_zpseuugr7fk.png

2015-03-08_13.54.34_zpszwsnm8w2.png

The banner itself can be read either side from left to right as it's double thickness - I didn't know what kind of design to go for though, I did try it out in grey but it was a little boring so I added more colour! Everyone's thoughts are welcome! We could even go with the rail line colours in stripes like the bottom design.

2015-03-08_13.53.19_zpshh1yjnks.png

2015-03-08_13.53.10_zpskthwbgyi.png

I'm quite surprised by myself but I actually quite like the multicoloured banner over the grey one!

I've finished the skeleton of the balloon section of the zeppelin and it is about 150 blocks long.  Should I downsize it?

Good start! But yeah 107 blocks is quite large for it to go over spawn, it would overshadow a lot. Any downsizing would be good. Also so far you've used 5083 iron blocks, I always like to make sure we can collect any resources we use for projects we make, not even the warehouse has that many iron blocks - only 1408.... so we would probably use a different material.

Keep seeing what you can do though, as its a start and with only 3 people so far taking part ever little bit is appreciated.

I've tried sizing down the zeppelin, but it does not downsize very well and starts to look more like a floating bottle sadly.  I will have to think of something else.

EDIT: I do not want to abandon the idea of an airship, so I am trying a more steampunk-esque style of airship that can likely fit size contraints more easily.

Edited by Zinc_Chills

Competition is now over, so world is now closed.

The winning order is as follows:

1. aoelos_ - Your plane has fit just right and I've even given it a little story, including access up to it via a hidden warp!
  2. Zinc_Chills - While I thought your Zeppelin was a bit too big to be over spawn, I see you have put effort into it, so I have placed it outside of spawn town walls for now.
  3. Zhon_Lord - Your build was not completly finished however I could see where you were going with it, for some reason it reminded me of our previous theme park world, hopefully we can go back at some point and use your building skills.
  4. spamfg - While you didn't have much, you had at least spent time in the world trying to do things and had at least wrote the words YAMS, so thank you for at least being the first person to get the ball rolling so others would come in and join.
  5. Meow7Meow - Unfortunately I cant bump you up higher as the word YAMS was uncompleted, your build while not in my style but its clear you had put effort into it as all the little figure people had different face expressions and the levers were positioned according to their facial expressions. If I have time I might use some of them.

Thank you everyone, the new world is coming soon! :)

Sign in to follow this