Yet Another Minecraft Server (YAMS)
Sign in to follow this  
JBryant

12/04/2011 - Community Support Officers

Due to the increased traffic through the Yet Another Minecraft Server, we have decided to implement a protection/penal system. While we welcome all newcomers to our community and appreciate the loyalties of the local residents, the staff cannot be available 24/7 to make sure people are playing fairly. Each person is responsible for reading/understanding the rules of this server and must accept the consequences of his or her own actions. However, we are now recruiting members who would like to help preserve our precious creations by becoming "Community Support Officers" . As a CSO, you would be available to help people find their way around the server and monitor the actions of players who are being destructive. If a person is caught griefing you will be able to /jail said person to a local prison in the event that a Mod/Admin is not available to deal with the issue. The perpetrator would be effectively neutralized from causing farther harm until a proper hearing can be held. You will not be kicking/banning people from the server and this is not a command to be used as a practical joke. This is a job responsibility and as such will only be available to those members who have the following qualifications:

1. You must be a registered user on the forums in order to give shift reports to other staff.

2. You should have some history with the YAM Server so as to have a stake in the outcome of your actions.

3. Anyone caught abusing their authority will be banned, no exceptions, and trust us, you will be caught!

If you are interested in applying for this position, please reply to this post with your availability(times usually on server) and which actions in your opinion are appropriate to be punishable by /jail. All appointments will be approved by Administration consensus and you will be notified if chosen.

Thanks for your patronage,

YAMS Staff

Just to confirm as tested on 3 members the other day. The members who are jailed can not do anything at all including but not limited to opening doors/using buttons/pressure plates/building/breaking and teleporting with /home and /spawn.

I don't really want to act like a schoolteacher and start calling on people who don't volunteer, but since no one has replied to this post after approx 40 views I want to do something to get this in motion. There are a few people who have been particularly helpful to the newcomers and that is mostly what we want to see in the first place. [color="#0000FF"]Hayduk8[/color] is really friendly and chatty with people, pointing out things to see and do. [color="#0000FF"]DeathLinaty[/color] is a lifesaver when it comes to building construction ideas or just lending an extra hand to get things done. [color="#0000FF"]Shadowstone12[/color] tries very hard to keep the swearing to a minimum from himself as well as the new folks! "Silent" [color="#0000FF"]Legg[/color] is good at keeping an eye on wandering loners so he can redirect them to the community if they get lost....well maybe I just ruined his stealth but still! These are the qualities we are looking for in our CSO's. It doesn't have to be a complicated job, just do what you are already doing and be recognized for your contributions. Of course we don't want to force you to help, but it keeps us free to handle the bigger griefing issues and work on improving the public sites when you do. Also, the /jail feature is just to stop further griefing until one of us is available to deal with it, not to make you the ostricized public figure. So please, if you would like to step up, post now!

As always, thanks for being on the server,
YAMS Staff

Hello all,

Just to add to what’s been said so far, some of you have said you would do it but you are not always on, well I would like to say the following:

It's not necessarily about you being on 24/7, you may just be on for a few hours every day but those few hours you are on might be the key, the most important time when we should be protected. It might be that exact time every day (maybe a school break) that we always get people coming on and stealing stuff.

With all the different time zones we cannot be 100% protected all the time, but at least as a community we can all do our part in creating a strong community against the uprising of thief’s and griefers. :lol:

Are you willing to take up the challenge? It can be a very rewarding one; you will be looked upon as being part of the team and have the satisfaction of showing new people around when they in need of guidance. We were all new once! And of course you will be looked upon as having an authority to put people in jail when they misbehave!

It would be a shame if we could not find anyone to join this newly created team, we would have to instead restrict both new and regular members in terms of what they can do more than what we do now. Neither myself nor my team and I’m sure neither you don’t want this.

So please come join us! We promise you, you will enjoy it. ;)

Kind regards,
YAMS Staff

I would be willing to give this a go and see how I do, but I'm not sure if I meet the requirement about having a long history with the YAMS Server, probably not. I'll post details anyway.

I'm generally available between 5pm and 11pm GMT, and occasionally earlier in the day on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays, though that is sporadic. I also have a two week holiday coming up where I won't be available.

As to what actions are punishable by jail? Depends on circumstance. Someone building random cobblestone structures could either be someone who hasn't read the rules or someone who is just griefing. In those circumstances the griefer would be a /jail unless they cleaned it up, while the person who hadn't read the rules would just be told to go and read them and warned off ugly cobblestone stuff.

Though as a general list (remembering circumstance):

- Destructive Griefing - /jail
- Building random stuff - Warning and /jail for repeat offences
- Theft - /Jail

Thats pretty much it for the most common stuff, there might be other things that pop up, such as chat spam or stuff, but thats likely to be caught by an admin.

Thank you Vayre for your willingness to help! I had an enjoyable tour with you the other day and you seem very level-headed. I'm sure it will be a pleasure having you around either way.

JB

I'd also be willing to give it a go, even though I'm not on too often. I'm usually available to be on between 7-10 aest and quite a bit of the weekend. Of course since I am in Australia just minus 10 hours from my time for gmt.

And yeah,just a quick question about the position, I assume we wouldn't have any extra powers to tell when someone is griefing? Otherwise we would have to be present at the scene of the crime to actually react. Though I spose just a title change would be enough to let other people who may be being griefed tell us.

Twice now I have had to watch griefing going on and been unable to do anything about it. I would like to change that. I am usually on between 8 pm and 1 am central standard time ( which I think is gmt-6?). I am fairly new and would consent to the communitys judgement on my appointment. Fair warning, I am prone to shoot first and ask questions later, typical american ;).

lol, i would apply if i could, but im not on in those "a couple hours" i think if the minimum was like 30mins a day, then i would apply, but i think i dont meet much requirements anyways ;)

I wouldn't mind having a go at this, so [u]this is what i understand thus far[/u]:

A [b]CSO[/b] does the following;

1. Gives tours around for new members
2. Be friendly, and help out with projects etc
3. be able to /jail players who are seen by the CSO. (as Vayre said, Griefing, Building random stuff - Warning and /jail for repeat offences, Theft)
4. ?

If Darren etc find me good for this position and I am understanding what the CSO does properly, I would be happy to have a shot at it.

I am online most of the time at the moment, when not on holiday i'm free all day Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
I'm at college the other days and get home around 6pm, but on Friday I only have half a day of college.

Because of this I am at home most of the time, except for when playing other games, doing assignment work and going to the pub (not that often rly) I'm online on the server.

-Hayd

Hey darren ;),

Ill apply for this position.

Timezone: GMT+1 (wich is PST -9 i believe)
Playing time: usually 2 or more hours a day
When to jail: When i catch someone breaking someone else's stuff , and when i caught someone stealing stuff from boxes thats not theirs. i would also not tolerate random killing people with wolves.

Darius

Dear all,

First of all thank you everyone that has replied to this post. And secondly I can confirm that we will be shortly be reviewing who will be eligible for this opportunity, I’ve already had some discussion with the team!

We will get back to you soon with a definitive answer of who will be on this team, also if you haven’t applied yet, it’s not too late to do so, this is an on-going group that will probably change from time to time, we don’t want anyone feeling like being a CSO is getting in the way of their real life work, so if you are selected and need a break, you’re entitled to it, just let us know so we can find cover, instead of disapearing of the face of the earth!

And don’t forget for those that become a CSO, myself and the moderators are here to support you 100% if there’s something you need help with (e.g. a member talking nasty to you), the please try and summon a moderator, if they can’t help you then it will be passed onto me! And I will put said person in place – no member of my team should ever receive aggressive abuse or such from another player. Sure it will happen from time to time, not everyones nice. But I do not tolerate it at all, theres no need for it.

Kind Regards,
Darren Straight and
The YAMS Team